Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Paleo Diet

Almost a year ago, I was having lunch with a friend when she told me of a great new diet she was thinking of getting into. Now, I'm one of those people who hates diets. I'm all about losing weight, getting in shape, etc. but when it comes to diets, I think they are all a bunch of crap. I've never been a fan.

But she was a different type of person and this was a different type of diet. My friend explained to me that the diet she had recently gotten into was called the Paleo Diet, and it was less of a diet and more of a lifestyle change. Lifestyle change, huh? That sounds interesting . . .

For those of you who don't know about the Paleo Diet, let me give you a very rough explanation. The Paleo Diet is a way of eating that is based on the way our ancestors (the hunter-gatherer folk) ate during the Paleolithic era. It ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In a nutshell, it is a diet consisting of meats, vegetables, fruits and nuts. High in protein, low in carbohydrates. There are no grains or processed foods. Meat should be grass fed, no nasty added, yucky stuff. I stick with organic fruits and veggies.

Here's a picture of your basic Paleo food pyramid:


And to contrast, an image of the food pyramid we all remember learning about in elementary school:

See the difference?

When I first approached my husband with this crazy new idea, he was not as quick to jump on the bandwagon. But we ended up doing hours of research and eventually came up with a way to integrate this diet into our lives. Now, about a year later, we base a majority of our food choices on this way of thinking.


Well, except for this...


Now I'm not going to use this blog to make an argument for going Paleo. But it has been a huge part of my life and has affected the way I live.

Which is why it is so frustrating when I'm sick, like I have been for the past week, and all I want to eat is this . . .

YUM!


For some reason, when I get sick, all I want to eat is BREAD! I made my husband go buy me a loaf of sourdough bread from the store, and then proceeded to eat the entire loaf.  Needless to say, my strictness about the Paleo diet goes out the window when I'm sick. And this is something I am not proud of. 

In general, we are not as strict about the diet as many paleo-lovers are. If I'm laying on the couch in a pile of balled up tissues with an empty carton of orange juice next to me, and I have a craving for bread, I'm going to eat some dang bread! If we are out on a date with friends at an amazing restaurant and the dessert menu is especially tempting, we'll splurge and split something. If it's a birthday, anniversary, or some other special holiday, we'll let loose a bit. But on a regular basis, we are pretty good about sticking to it. 



And I am determined to get myself back on track. Once this cold is over. Yes, once it's completely gone, it's back to work! I swear . . .



Some Paleo links for those of you interested 

They aren't exactly creative with their titles, but they will help you get started.


http://paleodiet.com/
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
http://paleodietrecipes.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda