Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Brownies Baby!

Today is the first day of the Elimination Diet, and in honor of that . . . I decided to share some brownie recipes with you!

Ok, it's true, I don't have any pictures of my own brownies. Let's just say they didn't last long once they made it out of the oven. Actually, I ended up giving them to my nieces, so you'll have to ask them what they looked like!

I have two. Full Yum and Low Calorie Yum. You decide what you want to try. Low Calorie Yum is significantly less sweet, but still just as delicious. Full Yum is more like your average brownie: big, chewy, and delicious!

Let me preface this by saying I have one major rule about brownies. NO NUTS. They ruin everything. You will rarely see me adding nuts to cookies or brownies. It's a sin in my opinion.


Full Yum Ingredients
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour

8 inch square pan

Oven at 350 degrees and rack in the middle position.



Melt the butter and chocolate together (microwave or on the stove, whichever you prefer) stirring often. Let it cool a little bit.


Whisk the sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder and salt together. Then whisk in the chocolate until it's smooth.


Stir in the flour until it's all combined and beautiful!

Now here's the trick that I learned and it's fantastic for baking things like this. You need a roll of foil and the pan that you're baking in. Fold two sheets of foil so that they are as wide as the bottom of the pan. Put one piece lengthwise and one piece width-wise.


Push the foil flat to the bottom and corners of the pan. Then spray the foil with vegetable oil or whatever you would normally use to coat the pan.

This way, when the brownies have cooled you can simply pull the foil out of the pan and flatten it. Then when you cut the brownies into pieces, it will be much easier to serve them.

Back to the baking!


Pour the batter into the foiled pan and bake for around 25 minutes. Test it with the ol' toothpick trick (I use a butter knife) in the center of the brownies comes out clean.


Low Calorie Yum

This recipe is pretty dang good. America's Test Kitchen tells me that each bar will only have about 130 calories and only 5 grams of fat. I guess that all depends on the size of brownie you make. It also tells you to bake it in an 8-inch square pan, but I mixed it in a loaf pan so they'd be thicker. Just as yummy. So you can use either size pan and this will come out great.

Low Calorie Yum Ingredients
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tbs warm water
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder (This makes all the difference! Don't forget it!)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg


The oven and the rack are the same as in the other recipe, 350 degrees and in the middle.

Whisk the cocoa, water, vanilla and espresso powder in a small bowl.


Whisk the flour and baking powder together and set aside


Melt the butter and the chocolate together, then the sugar and salt, and then the cocoa mixture. AND THEN the egg. It looks like a mixture that you might have done something wrong to.


Then stir in the flour mixture until it's completely added.


Put batter in pan, bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the toothpick-butter knife comes out clean after being inserted. Just make sure you don't over bake them!

And there you have it! Two delicious brownie recipes. I hope you enjoy them. Again, I apologize for not having a picture of the final products, but take my word for it, both are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda