Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Elimination Diet

You might have noticed in previous posts I mentioned going on an Elimination Diet. It's a Hypoallergenic diet in which you begin with a cleanse and slowly add foods that typically have caused allergies to people. It is highly recommended for people with a number of different diseases and conditions, most importantly to me, people with Rheumatoid Arthritis.


(Note: This is also a diet that people have had success with in dealing with migraines, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, asthma, IBS and intestinal issues, Psoriasis and people having trouble losing weight.)

Many people with Rheumatoid Arthritis have allergies to certain foods and those foods can cause inflammation. Inflammation is also caused by an unbalance of Omega 3s to Omega 6s, but that's an entirely new blog post that we'll get to another time.

No more of this for a while.

I dislike using the word diet in this case, since I'm not going at this in order to lose weight. But there's not another good word out there to describe it (if someone can come up with something, let me know!) and that's what it's called. My hope is that in doing this diet I will be able to cleanse my body of all the gluten and other processed crap that people eat on a daily basis (a lot of times without realizing it!) And who knows, maybe if I'm lucky I'll find a trigger food that causes all my inflammation and I'll be cured just by getting rid of it (please don't be sugar, please don't be sugar!!)

Sorry Mitch, none of that for a while either.

The difficult part of this diet is not only the fact that you have to cut out a majority of foods to practically nothing, but finding good tools out there to help you. There are a million websites dedicated to this diet, but none of them really make sense to me. I can't follow them. And they all have their own opinions of how it should be done and what to cut out. I realized that I needed to research and get the gist of the whole thing, and then tailor it to my own needs.

Oh that was a good burger (the first I had in months!) 
And sadly I won't be returning on Saturday for that prime rib and garlic mash.

So in light of that, I'd like to state upfront that this Elimination Diet is my own personal creation. I do not recommend following it perfectly step-by-step. I only hope that my writing about this could open doors to those of you who have RA like myself, or those of you who are simply interested in doing it for the health benefits that it has. Let this be support/motivation for you to do your own research and customize your own version of it to fit your lifestyle (and make sure to discuss it with your doctor first).

These brats will still be eating their nightly Florentine.

My next blog will be about the specific phases and how I'm going about starting this whole deal! Stay tuned!


Links to some of my research tools for the Elimination Diet
Nourishing Meals Blog
Whole Life Nutrition
World's Healthiest Foods

1 comment:

  1. There is a company that tests your blood for long term food alergies... SAGE. The test tells you which foods you need to eliminate. I have just started the diet..eliminating about 20 items.. aftere six weeks you should be clear of the food issues and you can start to add back foods one at a time to see which really cause the problems.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda