Thursday, March 17, 2011

Finally!

We finally allowed ourselves to eat meat! Oh sweet, delicious meat! This is the start of my Phase 2 of the elimination diet.

The first night we ate grass fed organic chicken. Last night we cooked wild sockeye salmon.


It was buttery without any butter. Melt in your mouth delicious. A beautiful, handpicked cut of salmon. And I ate every bit of it.

The hardest part of this elimination diet has been the lack of meat. I'm a meat eater. I love me some meat. So when I found out that I wasn't able to have meat for a majority of this diet I got a little . . . upset. But I committed to the plan so I had to stick to it.

Like I said originally, we had to alter the plan to fit our lifestyle. And my lifestyle needs protein. Especially for working out. There's only so much quinoa and adzuki beans one can eat before their body starts craving some different protein.

So, in comes the meat. We're only starting with chicken and salmon, but it makes a huge difference. Energy levels are up and bellies are happy.


With my new enthusiasm about meals now, I thought I'd bring you another happy little recipe. Well, this is more of a snack than anything, but it's still delicious.


Kale chips!

Last night was the second time I've made these bad boys and each time we try to come up with what the flavors remind us of. Images that have come to mind are popcorn, chips, brussels sprouts . . . it's very entertaining.



What you'll need . . .

Kale
Olive Oil
Sea Salt

And that's it. It's simple, easy, and a great snack. We like chomping on them while we're watching TV. I got the idea for this from the blog Smitten Kitchen.


I like to buy organic kale, so that means washing it thoroughly. I wish I  had one of those spinning lettuce drying things, that would make this whole process much easier. Wanna buy one for me?

Take off the stems of the leaves. You can chop them off or just tear them. I tear them. Then you want to tear off the curly parts of the leaf. This is what you'll cook. I use everything except the stem in the middle.


You can make the pieces as big or as small as you like. I like a mixture of big pieces and little ones.

Lay foil on a baking sheet and spray it with olive oil. Then lay the kale on the sheet.


Put the sheet in the oven at 300 degrees. Bake them for about 20 minutes or until they're nice and crisp. But make sure you keep an eye on them. The last few minutes especially. They can easily burn. Don't forget to add some sea salt.


Oooh they're pretty! And yummy!

The salt makes the meal. Just a tiny bit is all it takes but it's perfect. The first time I made them I added a bit too much salt, but we just scraped it off before eating.


And there you go! Now I dare you to share these with your family. Try them out instead of potato chips while you're getting your March Madness on (or whatever it is you watch!).

Want another snack? Try baking some sweet potato fries as well! Maybe I'll blog about those another day.

Snack away my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for you to come home this weekend and cook me up some kale chips!

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda