Monday, March 14, 2011

Gettin' Your Hands Dirty

It's no lie, I'm a spoiled little girl.

I'm a serious Daddy's girl, and my Daddy made sure I was always happy and comfy.

 

And now that I'm married, my husband does the same. He makes sure that I'm always happy and comfy.


Most of the time.

Sometimes he pushes me to go outside my comfort zone. And most of those times I'm sitting there thinking . . . "wait. . . what the heck?! I don't do this!"

But sometimes I'll try, just to say I did it.

Did I trick you into thinking that was me?

Like gardening, for example. Ok, to be honest, I don't have a garden. I don't have anything close to a garden. I live in an apartment for crying out loud. And I've managed to kill just about every plant I've ever come in contact with. I'm not the kind of girl with a green thumb.

But I figured I would give it a shot. Mitch posed the idea to me of growing our own herbs, and I though . . . "well, that sounds pretty cool, I guess."

So we headed over to the public market, where we saw they were selling herb starters. We bought a few.


Chives, Rosemary, Parsley, Thyme, and . . . Basil? I think it was Basil. (Don't laugh.) We also bought some Cilantro seeds.

We bought some organic soil and a little baby planter and hurried home to give it a try.

And I planted them all!


Oh you don't believe me?


You say you need proof?


Well here you go!



Yeah, that's me. Gettin' my hands dirty. You didn't believe me, did you? Well I was telling the truth. I have my own little baby-sized garden. Hopefully it lasts long enough for me to enjoy it.

I didn't have a watering can so I had to water the herbs with a cleaned out wine bottle.


Oh and of course, we had to include the cats.


We bought some Cat Grass seeds for them. Funny looking bright green grass that cats apparently get a kick out of chewing. (Which will be great because Tesla has a thing about chewing on cardboard so I assume she needs a chew toy.)


We did this a few days before we got the herbs so it's had some time to grow. Using the same soil, we planted it and then put it in a warm, dark spot in our apartment.

It grows really fast. It actually grew quite a bit just from last night to this morning.


And for some reason, there are little beads of water on the tips of the grass. It's still kind of short but the cats have already shown interest in it.


Don't let this fool you. I'm still a Daddy's girl and I'm still spoiled. I'm just a little rougher around the edges ;-)

Wish me luck on my gardening endeavors.

2 comments:

  1. I tried gardening once. All the deer in the valley had a great feast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh darn! I thought maybe your secret weapon was going to be the wine! LOL That kitty grass looks AMAZING! We have 2 indoor cats and I am going to totally get some grass for them :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda