Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Have A Confession . . .

I have a confession.

Last night I did the unthinkable.

I ate something outside of my diet.

gasps from the crowd.


Last night we went out for dinner with my in-laws, who are in town this weekend. Having people visiting while being on this diet has been a challenge. One of my favorite things to do is to go out to dinner. I love it. And I especially love when I can take my friends and family to a great restaurant that they have never been to. I'm all about getting people to experience different foods! (And drinks! Like the time I bought my girl Melissa a Tom Collins . . . and then the next time she ordered one herself! Makes my little heart smile.)


We did great on our elimination diet, deciding to add in soy a couple days early so we could enjoy some sashimi with soy sauce. (Contemplated bringing our own Tamari sauce, but decided I didn't want to bring the bottle in my purse for fear it would explode. . . or whatever.)

Did I ever tell you how much I love sushi? LOVE sushi? It's a favorite. In Salt Lake, we were a couple blocks from an amazing restaurant, Takashi. I know what you're thinking . . . good sushi in Utah? While I could not find a good piece of salmon no matter how hard I tried, I found one of the best sushi restaurants I have ever been to in my life. Takashi was serious about having fresh fish flown in daily in order to have an amazing meal.


So last night we took Mitch's parents to a nice little Asian bistro here in town. Nothing fancy, but it's walking distance and their sushi is good. They also had about a million other dishes that the in-laws could choose from, since they aren't "sushi people" (gasp).


The meal came and went, and my belly was happy. That is, until the dreaded bill.

No, it wasn't the dollar amount that scared me.

It was the fortune cookie.


Why they brought us fortune cookies, I can't tell you, but they did. Everyone opened up their cookies to read their fortune (Mine: something about accepting the next proposition you're given). Fortunes were read and while joking over some funny story that I can't even remember now, I broke off a piece of cookie . . .

. . . and ate it.

Oh the humanity!

I continued to eat half of the cookie without realizing it. Then, when I looked down and saw crumbs, I panicked. AFTER ALL THIS TIME, I RUINED MY DIET WITH A FORTUNE COOKIE?!


Ok, maybe "ruined" is a bit extreme. Laughter came from the rest of my table, but I was somehow heartbroken. How could I have blindly eaten a stale fortune cookie? I always thought if I was going to ruin my run on this diet it would be with something at least a little more decadent!


But no. It was a crummy ol' fortune cookie.

This morning I told my father that if I break out in an arthritic attack, I must be allergic to fortune cookies. He responded with: "or even worse . . . sugar"

*shudder*

I can't even repeat my nightmare last night of being allergic to sugar and then attempting to bake sugar-free desserts. And then finding that they all tasted like dirty socks.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

And please forgive me, dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda