Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Look Inside

The other night Mitch and I watched a movie called Catfish. I don't want to ruin it for anyone because it was a great documentary and I highly recommend it, but the basis of it leaves you thinking about social networking sites and how much information we put out there for the world to see. Some people worry that what they put on websites like Facebook could be seen by anyone and everyone, and possibly used against them.


And here I am . . . pouring out details on my life on my blog in hopes that I could connect with some strangers. Does that worry me? Not yet! I love my readers and so far the people I've gotten to know have turned into a wonderful support group. I love that my blog has helped others out there to not feel so alone in their struggles with RA. Keep on reading and I'll keep writing!


So . . . struggles with RA. Today I had a particularly exhausting morning. A large portion of this exhaustion came from a trip to see an orthopedic surgeon. I've put off blogging about this because we weren't sure what was going on . . . and we're still not sure! But since it's taken up so much of my energy I figure I should talk about it.


A few weeks ago, I went to my doctor with complaints about my right knee. This wasn't the usual, dull pain that I was used to. This was sharp, stabbing pain.


Doc, what's wrong with me?!
Waaaaa!


Doc Wiz sent me off to get x-rays and dollars later they came back with a lil surprise . . .


You have a calcified loose body in your right knee.

. . . WHAT?!


I wish I had the x-ray on my computer to show you. I was surprised when I got to see it. A big chunk of something was located near my kneecap.

Ok, that's not an x-ray of my knee. 
Just trying to give you an idea of where this little sucker is.


I've tried finding out more about loose bodies and arthritis but it's been difficult. Everyone is different. Doc Wiz said most people with loose bodies don't have much pain, though the loose bodies aren't usually in the front of the knee like mine.

So he recommended me to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. 

And that's what I had to do this morning. . . .


I was hoping that I would go to the surgeon, he would say something like . . . 

Yep, that's what's causing your pain. Let's take it out right now! 
 Let me just go get my tools . . .


Unfortunately, that's not how it went. 



First of all, when Mitch and I got there, I was surprised that I completely didn't think about the fact that the doctor would want to examine my knee. I had to change out of my cute little outfit into a pair of ratty old shorts given to me by the nurse. So I sat there waiting for the doctor in my "peter pan colors" with green shorts and brown socks. HOT!


Dr. Surgeon came in and we went over my history with my knees, recent issues, examining my knees, and checking out my x-ray. He explained more about calcified loose bodies and everything I thought I knew about them went completely out the window. I guess I was wrong about most of it.


The big question for Dr. Surgeon was: Is this really a loose body? If it is a loose body, that would mean it would be movin' around my knee wherever it feels like going. That could cause some definite pain. If it stays in the same place, that means it's not "loose" and therefore could potentially not be what's causing me pain. Especially if it's padded by the fatty part of the knee.


And what else could be causing the pain? Well, there could be damage to the meniscus - not like a meniscus tear that your average athlete could have, but caused by the arthritis (sometimes age). It could also be from damage to the back of my knee cap (patella), or the NON-Loose body could be simply interfering with my knee cap.  


So what did the second x-ray look like?


Yep. The same. 


I personally think the last theory is what's going on here. My pain is exactly in the spot where the little frowny-face is hanging out in my knee. Which makes me think that this little sucker is just being a jerk.

How will we figure out what is really the problem?

An MRI.


Next week I have an appointment for an MRI to get a more detailed picture of what's going on in there.

Fun, right?

After that we should have a better idea of what is causing my pain. Also, Dr. Surgeon will be able to tell where this funky thing came from.


I'm exhausted. It's been a tiring day and I am currently on a big chair, wrapped up in a comforter. I don't have plans to leave this spot any time soon!

I have a feeling this will be the first installment of a multi-part series . . .


Luckily I have this little guy to take care of me!


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, similar to me. First the x-ray which didn't show enough, then the MRI, then the trip to the ortho, then the surgery. Sorry your trip wasn't more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly,
    It was such a frustrating day. Wish it was easier to deal with! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda