Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Love for Lemons and Limes

Phase 3 of my elimination diet is here! That means adding lemons, limes and tamari to the list!


Lemons and limes I know, but tamari sauce I didn't. Gluten free soy sauce? Weird. But it tastes just like your average soy sauce.

Unless it's on sushi, I'm not a huge soy sauce fan anyway, but at this point in the diet I'll take what I can get!

I never thought I'd be so excited for citrus. Add some lemon to my salmon? Perfect! Want to make a lemon chicken for dinner this week? Go right ahead! Yeah baby, gimme some lemons!

And limes! Oh limes! Want to see what I make with limes?


Brussels Sprouts!

Ok, so apparently sprouts aren't good for arthritis. No idea why. But I guess we'll find out today if I'm not feeling well after my feast of these bad boys.

It's such a simple dish and Mitch can't get enough of them! When we make these, they are the focal point of dinner. We'll often make Brussels sprouts and call it a night. So let's cross our fingers and hope that my knees don't feel the limey goodness of the sprouts.

What you'll need:
1 bag of Brussels Sprouts
1 juicy lime
salt and pepper
olive oil
and a baking sheet

Preheat the oven to around 350 degrees.


Mitch, get to work chopping those brussels sprouts in half!

Cut the ends off the brussels sprouts and shed the outer layer. Cut them in half (or quarters, depending on how you like them!)

Throw 'em all in a bowl and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir them together to make sure they are all evenly coated and seasoned. You can always add more salt and pepper after they're on the baking sheet.


Cover a baking sheet with foil and olive oil spray. Spread the green guys on the baking sheet. Make sure that they aren't on top of each other. You want them to get nice and crispy.

Cook them for about 30 minutes, checking every now and then and stirring them around.

Like I said, you want them to get a little crispy on the outside.

After you take them out of the oven, squeeze your lime over top of them. I love our nifty little juicer for this task.


And enjoy! The limes give it a perfect little bit of tartness and you can use as much lime juice as you like for your own tastes.


They make the perfect side dish or you can eat them as your whole meal, like we do!

Now I know, some of you out there think "brussels sprouts? yuck!" But I am certain you just haven't had GOOD brussels sprouts yet. Give these a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Give 'em a try and let me know what you think!


YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Yup, brussels sprouts are one of those veggies that i get cravings for. And the more lime the better; it cuts the sprout's bitterness.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda