Friday, March 11, 2011

Lyda's Luxurious Laundry Lotion!

Now that I started blogging, I've been enjoying browsing the many other blogs out there on the web. Particularly blogs about food and cooking, fashion and homemade things.

 

Homemade things, huh?

Since I first got into the Elimination Diet I've become very aware of ingredients that are used in the food I eat. And that translated into more of an awareness of the ingredients in the rest of the things I use on a daily basis. One of which being laundry detergent.

Now I know what you're thinking . . . I'm going crazy. And some of you might laugh at me. But if you are genuinely concerned about what you're using on the clothes your family puts on, take this idea into consideration. And if you wouldn't be laughing if you realized how cheap it is to make opposed to buying your regular stuff from the store.

 I labeled my detergent "Lyda's Luxurious Laundry Lotion". Catchy, huh?
Although I didn't have a permanent marker . . . whoops.
 
I found the idea for making my own laundry soap from a blog written by an old friend of mine from high school. (Want to talk about a crazy coincidence? I found her blog randomly while browsing blogs about homesteading. Check her out at The Elliott Homestead.)

Even after reading a million different recipes for it, I used hers, so check out her blog for the credit of this masterpiece. 

When I first decided to do this I thought it was going to take a long time and possibly be a pain in the neck to do, but it was actually faster and easier than I thought it was going to be. Actually I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't more to it!

Here's the ingredients you need . . . 
- A big ol' bucket (most blogs out there say a 5gal, but mine was a lil smaller
- 1/2 cup of borax
- 1/2 cup washing soda
- 1 bar of washing soap, shredded
- Essential oils 
- Water water water!
- A big ol' pot to do some cookin'
- A big ol' wooden spoon to do some stirrin'

Alright, ingredients are the fun part. I was at the public market when I found the essential oils, and I bought tea tree oil and a lavender-vanilla mix.


All the rest I found at our regular grocery store.


I used my handy-dandy food processor to shred the washing soap (don't worry, I cleaned it out well). I had to chop it up in a few pieces first.


I couldn't get over the fact that after it was all shredded it looked like cheese. Really, really, yellow cheese.


Now, get that pot out and heat up 2 cups of water. Add the shredded washing soap and constantly stir it until it's dissolved in the water. Still, it looked like I was making some sort of weird cheese soup.


Add the borax and washing soda to the pot and keep mixing.

 

Now pour the mix into your big ol' bucket. Then add water until it's 3/4 of the way full.


Then add your essential oils. I used tea tree oil at Shaye's suggestion - antibacterial, antifungal and smells so nice - and my lavender-vanilla oil. About ten drops of each for me, though I guess you could play around with how much scent you want. And keep stirring this up.


Then let the mixture sit for 24 hours to cool. (I set mine on the deck for a bit.) I also went back to it every few hours to give it a good stir.

Oh and did I mention I had this little guy watching over me while I did all of this? Talk about pressure.


His new favorite spot to chill is on top of the refrigerator. Especially when we're cooking.


Back to the laundry soap . . . it's done! Use about 1/2 a cup for an average load of laundry. I haven't had to use it on laundry that needs some serious deep-cleaning yet, but I read somewhere that if you can add some oxy-clean to your clothes if you have some extra dirty stuff.


The soap ended up looking really ooey and gooey but that's what it's supposed to look like. When I use it I like to try to break it up a bit, but it works perfectly.


And check out this white T-shirt! That's a clean white shirt, and I don't think anything can convince you how much this soap works than by showing you this!

Are you proud of me, or what?

6 comments:

  1. Are you planning to live off the land soon? Back to nature and all that stuff!Love the blog, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't knock it 'til you try it, mom! You should do this for your salon at least! I'll bring my stuff and make it for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple years ago I made my own and you've pretty much got the same deal here. It works well and is so cheap when you break it down. And chemical free!! I am going to post a list of other easy, cheap, SAFE homemade cleaning things that a friend of mine posted. I used to make most of them too, I need to get back into it to save some $.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy - I'd be interested to see the list! I'm all about easy homemade products. It's a great money saver and I love that I know every ingredient in what I use in my home! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great blog, and i love that your mom and your man are your big supporters!
    if i had a blog, i would probably made the similar one :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda