Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Finally We Get To The Good Stuff!

Throughout this Elimination Diet I have craved a million different things. Mainly things with sugar. And oddly enough, bread. (Wishing I could have some sourdough bread with my soup tonight.) I've been counting down the days until I get to eat the peanut butter girl scout cookies sitting in the freezer.

Things are finally looking up. I've made it over the hump. I'm on the other side of this crazy challenge and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And that light is a sparkling, glazed doughnut.

Sigh.

Get your head out of the gutter, Lyda.

So here we are, Phase 5 . . .

THE CHALLENGE PHASE!!

Ok, I know last week I called Phase 4 the beginning of the challenge phase. Which it kind of is in a way. You start slowly adding in different foods and testing to see if you have any sort of reaction. If you ask me this entire diet is a challenge, but whatever.

So what do we add this week? You're dying to know, aren't you?

All the best things!

It has taken us quite a while to figure out what order we want to do this in because I want to eat everything now. But the key to this week is to take 2-3 days in between each food . . . and really going to town on that food.

So here it is.

(NOTE: I can't promise you I will keep things in this order. I might not have enough self-control to keep everything the way it is.)

1. Oranges


Mitch has been wanting oranges since the beginning. And I am way too excited to drink orange juice with a little sparkling water. Right before we started the diet, we had some of the best oranges . . . EVER. They were amazing. I couldn't get enough of them. I can't wait to have another orange. CITRUS! 

2. Chocolate


Yeah that's right! You heard me! CHOCOLATE!!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited? There's a reason why I made this number 2 on the list. 

I admit, this chocolate has some sugar in it. But refined sugar is also on the list, so I don't feel so bad. And it's not a huge amount of sugar, but you better believe I'm going to enjoy some chocolate as soon as I possibly can. 

Oh baby!

3. Alcohol


What goes perfect with rich, dark chocolate? Red wine. 

You know it's true. 

Before this diet, a glass of wine with dinner was my favorite go-to. An evening without a glass of wine is a sad one. I've missed wine. 

Ok, this might be one "food" that I shouldn't be "eating like crazy" all day long. I won't be having wine with my breakfast quinoa. But you better believe I'll be having wine with dinner. Can't wait for this one.

4. Strawberries (/Kiwi)


Today at the grocery store there was a woman in the produce section cutting up strawberries to sample. They were beautiful, juicy, red . . . ahh if only I could have snuck one while Mitch wasn't looking. But I'm pretty sure he has eyes in the back of his head.

Kiwis are also allowed during this phase, so if I happen to find a good kiwi one day, maybe I'll give it a shot. Otherwise I'm not too worried about it.

5. Caffeine 


There's nothing that sounds better on a cold morning than a hot, freshly brewed cup of coffee. Mitch has been wishing he could have caffeine at work for weeks, and I don't think I could meet one more friend at a coffee shop and order ice water or herbal tea.

Caffeinated tea would be great too. We have some amazing apple green tea that I've been wishing I could drink.

6. Refined Sugar

Ok, I'm not sure how I'm going to add refined sugar to the week without adding something else I'm not allowed to have. No, I can't have a doughnut just yet. I'll hopefully figure it out by the time it rolls around.

7. Peanuts

I don't eat peanuts on a regular basis. I'm not actually a huge fan of just plain peanuts. But you know what I am a fan of?


Peanut butter. 

Can I confess something? One of my secret bad habits is slowly eating a spoonful of peanut butter while reading fashion magazines. 
Sigh . . . this is only a dream at the moment. Maybe someday soon I'll get to revisit this lovely memory. 

(8. Sesame Seeds are on this phase list, but we don't eat sesame seeds or cook with sesame seed oil, so I'm not going to bother with it.)


UPDATE: I realize that in having chocolate, I will inevitably have sugar and caffeine. That's just a risk I'm going to have to take.


So that's my week. And you better believe I will enjoy it. Yes, sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda