Friday, April 15, 2011

Girl Loves Her Mama

I can't believe I haven't blogged about this yet. It's a very important subject and I am so sorry to have deprived the world so far.

I have yet to introduce you to my mama.


This is my mom, Bonney. She is amazing and I love her to death. There's no one in the world who knows me like my mama. She's been with me through it all. She's my biggest fan and she always has my back.


Sometimes she worries. Wait, let me rephrase that. She always worries. But she's a mama. And she's my mama. It can drive me crazy but I know she means well. Especially when it comes to my heath. When I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis she was my number 1 advocate. She found people who knew information to pass on to me. She made sure I took my medicine (even on trips out of the country - she's hard core like that.), sometimes by going out of her way to ask friends favors to help me give the shots.


And she continues to have that unexplainable intuition of when I'm having a bad day. She somehow knows when I'm in pain, and that's something not even Mitch has been able to do. (He is getting better at "just knowing", but he is a man after all. Sometimes I just have to tell him.)


She's always there when I need her. A shoulder to cry on, someone to vent to - Let me tell you, there has been a lot of venting lately and she hasn't told me to shut up yet! When I'm in the middle of something and I need help I can call her and she will know exactly what to do.


Mom! I'm trying to make rice and it never turns out right! HELP!

Calm down. Now do this . . .

or

Mom, how do you get cat pee out of something?

Throw it away. 

My couch?!

Oh . . . well here's what you do . . .



How does she always have the answer to everything? She's a woman. And a mom. She knows all.

And she has the coolest history with the best stories. The story of her dad catching her and a friend smoking out her bedroom window (which was facing the road . . . what was she thinking?). The one where she used to have her own restaurant and the members of The Grateful Dead were regular customers. And the day Mitch and I found an old picture of her . . .


Mom, why are you holding a baby lion?

Oh I never told you about the time I bought a lion cub from a pet store?



Yeah, she's too funny! (And I'm sorry I don't own that picture to share.)

When I was 17 she took me to Paris. My brother was living in Amsterdam at the time so we planned a trip to visit him, and because I was obsessed with Paris (taking French in high school and learning everything I could about France) she decided to tack that on to the vacation.


We spent six days in Paris, shopping, eating, drinking wine, walking around with a Rick Steves recommended tour guide, and soaking up as much Paris culture as we could. It was a dream come true. I am so lucky to have a mother who took me on such an amazing trip. We travel well together.

 Yeah, that's us sharing a Snuggie. You know you're jealous.

This weekend will be a weekend with mama. We'll be shopping, dining, and drinking way too much wine. (Sound familiar? It's a commonality in all moments with this lady.)  It will be nice to have a weekend with her to just be carefree girls. Is there anything better?

Love you mama. You are wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. Stumbled on your blog, poking around on Blogspot. Such a sweet tribute! Your mom looks/sounds loving, fun and good company.

    The lion cub though, shudder. What happened to it?

    Reminds me of 'Fatal Attractions.' Finally deleted season pass from Tivo, thinking, 'Nothing good's going to happen at the end. Do I really want to see this?'

    Think I'll stick to my house bunnies and dogs.

    Back on topic, those mamas!

    They can make our day, drive us crazy, destroy our self- confidence w/a single sentence or comfort us like no one else in the world. My mom's slowing down at 84 but I still get that 'Mommy!' feeling, even at age 49.

    Thanks for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Glad my blog could bring some entertainment :-)

    All was well with the lion cub - the 60s was just a very different time I guess! Too bad it's nothing like this story: http://youtu.be/zVNTdWbVBgc (makes me almost cry whenever I see this!)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda