Saturday, April 9, 2011

Weekend With The Girls

I normally don't post on the weekends, but the last couple of days have been especially eventful, so I thought I would share the excitement with you.

On Thursday, I drove an hour south to my sister's house to pick up two of my nieces so they could spend a couple of nights with me and Mitch up in Bellingham. It was the first time that they would be up here without their parents . . . and in our tiny little apartment.

It was a little cramped, but hey, we had a good time!

So let me introduce you to my girls . . .


This is my older niece, Sarah. She's feisty, a smarty-pants, and a little bit of a tomboy.


This is her little sister, Claire. She's more rambunctious, talkative and very outgoing.

When we first got home, I took the girls to a toy store a couple blocks from our place, where we bought a small kite and a little card game just in case the weather was bad. Luckily, the weather was AMAZING almost the entire time they were here so we spent most of the time outside.

We went to park #1 to play on some toys and swings. And I got to lay out in the grass, enjoying the sunshine.


When Mitch got home from work, we all went down to the water. We took the kite.


We also spent time doing the girls' favorite thing . . .

Looking for crabs under rocks.


Yeah, you heard that right.


They also had fun learning how to skip rocks.


I'm pretty sure Mitch is a better uncle than I am an aunt. I had the job of holding the kite while they all had fun.


For dinner I made a roasted chicken with carrots and a rice pilaf for everyone. The girl's enjoyed gnawing on chicken legs.


Mitch and I enjoyed a glass of wine.


Day two began with a trip to Boulevard Park. Mitch had to go to work, so it was just us girls. They climbed trees.


And then we came home and painted our nails, watched cartoons, and waited for Mitch to get off work early!


Luckily he took a half day, so when he got home around noon we went for a hike!


The hike was one that we found a couple of weeks ago. It led to an actual sand beach - I didn't know one even existed here in Bellingham. But it does! And no I won't tell you how to get there. You'll just tell all your friends and then it won't be a secret anymore!


How gorgeous is this?!


They were braver than I was, and got their feet in the water.

But they found some really cool seashells out there, and avoided spitting clams.


On our walk back there was some roughhousing and breakdowns.


And Claire had a face-plant in the mud.


So we had to come home and get cleaned up.

After baths, we ate dinner (some delicious pasta that I will write about at another time), went out for gelato, made the girls run some laps around another park, and then tucked in with a movie for the rest of the night.


In the morning Mitch made pancakes and since it was a little colder (and much windier) we took the kite out again. This time to the marina.


I want a yacht. Will someone buy one for me?

Of course, we had to go back to the water to look for more crabs. They really couldn't get enough of that.


And showed Mitch their climbing skills. 


A couple hours later my sister and her husband came to pick up the girls, so they met us in Fairhaven for lunch, along with my youngest niece, Ava (who was a little too young for a two night trip).


And now the two of us are crashed on the couch. The kitties are also crashed next to us.

It was a lot of fun, but now we are enjoying the fact that we can watch a show that isn't a cartoon, and have a little bit of silence. It's beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this tonight! Thank you for sharing. And thank you guys for being such a great Aunt and Uncle! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful weekend! You are creating memories that those girls will cherish for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda