Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Just A Bowl Of Cherries

Alright Friends, the moment you've been waiting for. Another recipe from yours truly. But this one is perfect for spring. And perfect for ruining a diet. But delicious nonetheless.

Cherry Pie


For our family Easter fun-times, I wanted to bring something for everyone to enjoy. So I brought pie. A homemade pie. I'm still a novice pie baker but I thought I would give it a shot. Plus fruit pie sounded amazing.

I had never made a cherry pie before so I owe the results of this pie to America's Test Kitchen. That show is the best for a newbie cooker like me. And those wonderful people supplied me with the perfect cherry pie recipe.


You will have to excuse my messy home in these pictures. Please. It was a beautiful day the day I made this pie and the last thing I wanted to do was stay inside and deep clean my house.

Alright, at least we got that out of the way.

So here it is for any of you folks out there who are new to the kitchen like myself.

Here's what you need . . .

Ingredients


Pie
1 to 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cups cornstarch
1/ teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of salt
6 cups of fresh, jarred, or canned sour cherries, pitted (drained if jarred or canned)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract


Crust
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out the dough
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
6 to 8 tablespoons of ice water
1 egg white
extra sugar

Note: I did not attempt a lattice pie crust. I did a regular double crust pie dough, so if you're looking for a lattice crust, check America's Test Kitchen for a how-to.

For The Crust


1. Process the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor until combined. Scatter the shortening over the top and process until the mixture has the texture of coarse sand (about 10 seconds). Scatter the butter pieces over the top and, using short pulses, process the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs (about 10 pulses). Transfer to a bowl.


2. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Stir and press the dough together until the dough sticks together. If the dough does not come together, stir in the remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time. Use a spatula for this, unless you're like me and you just use your hands.


3. Divide the dough into two even pieces and flatten each into a 4-inch disk. Wrap the disks tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Let the chilled dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling it out and fitting it into a pie plate.


Cherry Pie, Baby!


1. Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position, place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack, and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Mix 1 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the cherries and almond extract. Add up to 4 more tablespoons of the remaining sugar if the cherries taste tart. Spread the filling in the unbaked pie crust bottom.


2. Place the rolled out 2nd pie crust over the top of the pie filling.


Seal and crimp the edges. Cut holes in the center to vent. You can make a design if you want. This was my attempt at a design.


Lightly brush the top with 1 egg white and then sprinkle the top with sugar.


3. Place the pie on the heated baking sheet and lower the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Bake until the top crust is golden, about 25 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet, reduce the oven temperature again to 375 degrees and continue to bake until the juices are bubbling and the crust is deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes longer.


Cool on a wire rack.

And there you have it . . . 


Pie.


The consensus was that this pie was Ah- Mazing! I can not tell you how happy I was that this turned out so well. I was nervous about handing over a pie to my family without knowing how it turned out. Especially with this being my first cherry pie. If I may say so myself, it was fantastic.


I know, I know, I ruined my elimination diet a bit with this bad boy. But it was worth it. Oh man was it worth it.

The pie was devoured. We served it with a scoop of really good french vanilla ice cream and it was a great pair. Ask the fam what they thought. I hope they will still agree that it was good. :o)


I promised Mitch I would make him another pie. This time he requested an apple pie. So when he gets home from his business trip on Friday I will hopefully have another delicious fruit pie made. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. If I get a pie every time I come home from a business trip, I need to make more business trips!

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda