Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bad Things, Good Things

Ok, so the other day I was talking about sticking to your diet and how important it is to respect each others' food choices. Yadda yadda yadda.

Oh, I believe everything I said, but in the case of those who say "but . . .  but! I love bad things for me!", don't worry, I feel ya. I've got a sweet tooth like no other. Which is why you'll see me attempting paleo dessert recipes quite often. But every once in a while, you just gotta splurge.

Now I'm not talking about "cheat days" or "taking breaks" or all the other nice little phrases given by people who want to diet but don't want to put the work into it. I'm talking about only living once and never completely depriving yourself. It's true that once you cut out things like sugar and grains your body will quickly learn to live without it and you won't have those cravings anymore, but for diehards like me, you can always daydream.

I say, if you're going to cheat, you better make it worth it. I don't mean taking a donut from the tray at the office or succumbing to the ice cream cone that everyone else is walking around town with. I mean making a choice that you aren't going to look at five minutes from now and wish you hadn't.

My biggest achievement lately has been gaining some willpower. I've been working hard to look at that piece of dessert being offered to me. Thinking about how it really looks.  

Is it devastatingly mouthwatering, or is it just mildly enticing? 

Am I going to feel good about myself after I eat it, or will I regret it and wish I hadn't? 

The answer is almost always "DON'T EAT IT." But sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's refreshing and sometimes I've put the effort, the hard work into making said dessert so having a sliver of a slice just makes me proud. And happy. Belly smiles, people. Belly smiles.

In the end, the decision is yours. You have to be the one to decide what will make you happy in the long run. For me, it has to be really worth it to endure the joint and belly aches that will follow.

What would be your worth it dessert? 

Would it be . . . 

Balsamic Chocolate Truffles?


Beautifully decorated Blackberry Sorbet?


Or, if you're going for decoration (which I firmly believe your food should be as appealing to the eye as to the stomach), Carrot Ginger Layer Cake a la my nemesis Martha Stewart?


Or a little simpler with a little Key Lime Pie?


Or the simplest of delicious desserts, White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries!


This time of the year, I'm all about the fruit. So give me some Strawberry Crepes (A definite favorite of mine. Go to Magdalena's Creperie for the most amazing strawberry, cream cheese and white chocolate crepe you will ever have! Or if you are in the Salt Lake area, head over to Eggs In The City for their delicious breakfast/dessert fruit filled crepes. To die for.)


Whatever the choice, in my mind, it better be good. No, scratch that. It better be AMAZING.

This gal isn't going to settle for just any ol' dessert!

What would you break your strict diet for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda