Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chapped Lips No More!

Alright friends, I did something a little crazy. Again.

Remember how I got really into making things at home and knowing the ingredients in the things I use on a daily basis?

Well I decided to make something again.

Yeah, I'm a dork.

Instead of laundry soap, I decided to take a stab at making homemade lip balm.


I got the idea initially from The Elliott Homestead. I first tried the recipe at EH but the coconut oil in it reminded me too much of food that I cook. I kept feeling like I was rubbing carrots and sweet potatoes all over my mouth. (Which as delicious as that would be, does not work out so well for me on a regular basis.) I loved the idea of making my own chapstick and so I headed over to Google to find out more about how to do so.


After reading a million recipes for homemade lip balm, I went to Mountain Rose Herbs to buy some ingredients. Here's what I purchased . . .

Ingredients
Sweet Almond Oil
Shea Butter
Beeswax
Tangerine Essential Oil

12 lip balm tubes


The Shea Butter and the Beeswax are the constants in the recipes I found. The oil is what is different. I used Almond Oil because MRH was out of Jojoba Oil at the time. (which is what I really wanted to use . . . oh well! Next time!)


The tangerine was an idea I got from a few other websites that talked about adding flavor. A lot of fruity flavors were suggested, as well as a vanilla (yum) and mint (ooh). This is probably one of those things where combinations are awesome and testing it out is how you figure out what works well.

Other ideas from websites were to add color to the chapstick, by taking a bit of lipstick color and adding it to your mixture. Any 99 cent lipstick from the drugstore will do. I had originally intended to do this . . . but forgot. Oh well.

So want to know how I did it?

Well, I melted the beeswax in a saucepan.


Then I added the shea butter to melt along with it.


Then the sweet almond oil. After the goo is all melted I took it off the burner and added somewhere around 10-15 drops of tangerine essential oil to the mix. I probably could have used more, but 10-15 was a recommended amount.

Oh yeah, you have to keep stirring the thing while it's melting. Stir stir stir.

After it was all mixed I took the little chapstick tubes I purchased and poured it in.


NOTE: Every single website I looked at recommended . . . no, STRONGLY recommended . . . I use a dropper or turkey baster or something of that kind to put the melted mixture into the tubes. I had full intention of doing so but . . . I forgot. And I don't keep a turkey baster on hand. Surprise surprise, I don't roast turkey all that often.


Anyway, I continued to pour the mixture into the tubes with a measuring cup. Yep. And it worked fine, but I used a cloth to hold on to things so I didn't accidentally pour hot wax onto my dainty little fingers. If I had not used said cloth, I would be missing a few digits right now and I wouldn't be able to type very well.

Nah, that's exaggerating. But it would hurt.
 

After the mixture cools I placed the lids to the tubes back on and let them cool completely (which doesn't take long). Then I was a total dork and used my label maker. Yeah, I have a label maker. So what?


And now I'm passing along personalized chapstick tubes to my friends. It's a hard chapstick but it works like magic. Magic I tell you!

Now aren't you so glad I shared this idea with you?

I hope you have a chapped-lip-free day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda