Thursday, June 30, 2011

Choco Chip Cookies, Paleo Style

Oh goodness friends, I have something AMAZING to share with you!

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
 

You heard me right!

After multiple tries at Paleo baking, I felt like I needed to give it another shot that would hopefully redeem myself. Sometimes I want to kick myself for starting to venture into paleo baking when I was just getting a handle on regular baking. Oh well, I guess I like changing things up! Gotta keep things exciting, right?

Now the funny part of paleo desserts is that they aren't totally paleo. It's not like our paleolithic ancestors were big into making cupcakes or anything. But I stand firm that if they had the technology and the supplies, they would be downing cupcakes faster than you can say "gimme some chocolate frosting!"

That being said, I have a sweet tooth. Actually, I think all my teeth are prone to sweets. It's something I have to battle on a daily basis. But sometimes you just need something yummy at the end of the day. And that's where my mind starts searching the web for someone out there who might feel the same way I do and have a recipe for me to try.

Enjoy a laugh at this picture of this dork, Goofy-Face McGee

I found my way to this blog, which gave me what looked like a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe. I had been browsing around looking for a good cookie recipe but most of them mentioned the cookies not turning out exactly like their white flour, grain sugar counterparts. I had already acknowledged that they might not turn out like the choco cookies I've had in the past, but I didn't want to spent a lot of time and ingredients on cookies that wouldn't turn out well. They also used ingredients that I wasn't a big fan of (see coconut flour . . . maybe I just need to work with it more but from what I've done already, I'm not into it). Other blogs had recipes, but the writers either didn't sell it to me well enough, or they came off as pretentious jerks and I'm not into that either.

So when I finally came across this recipe, I was very hopeful. Positive thoughts. Positive thoughts.


That positive thinking worked out pretty well for me because the cookies are AMAZING!

Remember how I said that I was already sure they wouldn't taste like your average cookies? Well they tasted even BETTER! To quote Mitch, they are "Serious cookie goodness!" Grain free, dairy free cookies can actually be good?

More quotes from Mitch:

"I can't believe this is gluten and dairy free. It's really up there as one of the best chocolate chip cookies of any kind that I've ever had. It has a soft chewy texture, like the best type of cookies. The faintest mild nutty flavor which fits with the chocolate really well. The texture is just like a great chocolate chip cookie."

 Meet Mr. Goofy-Face McGee, enjoying a cookie.

Ok that's enough, Mitch. Quit hogging the blog.

One interesting tidbit about me and this recipe is that it uses Almond Flour, but my banana bread escapades wiped out my almond flour supply. So, at Mitch's suggestion, I got a whole bunch'a almonds and made some myself.
 

Of course, it didn't turn out as fine as the pre-ground stuff. I later found out that if you put the almonds in a blender first it gets the grain finer, but whatever. The cookies turned out amazing so that's all I care about right now!


So have I gotten you excited enough for this recipe? Have I piqued your interest? Well, if I haven't then too bad because the second these cookies came out of the oven and into my mouth I couldn't wait to write about it! So here it is . . .

Paleo Choco Chip Cookies, Gluten Free, Dairy Free!



Ingredients
3 cups Almond Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Maple Syrup (add Agave Nectar if you like)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
2 cups Chocolate Chips


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. Combine Almond Flour, Baking Soda and Salt in a large bowl.

2. In a small bowl, beat Eggs, Maple Syrup/Agave Nectar, and Vanilla Extract



3. Melt Coconut Oil and add to your liquid mix.

4. Combine liquid mix with dry mix. Blend until well combined.


5. Stir in Chocolate Chips.


6. On a baking sheet, drop balls of cookie dough (which tastes delicious) about a tablespoon in size. The dough spreads a little bit in the oven so leave enough room in between.


7. Look over and laugh at the awkward position your blogging buddy is sitting in.


8. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be golden brown, depending on how long they're in the oven. They might look like they're burned at the edges but as long as you take them out in time they should be perfect!

Cookies mid-way through baking.

What you end up with is a chewy, delicious, chocolate-y treat! Like I said before, it's surprising how perfect these are. I never thought that paleo cookies could turn out to be just as good, if not better, than my best cookie recipe. True fact!

Cookies mid-way through eating.
Now if you don't mind, I have to eat another cookie right now.



Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story. These cookies are delicious. I can't stop eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a drewling. You got me hooked and ready to bake em up. My daughter eats dairy, soy, and glueten free which is always a challenge. I will be a baking these in the fall (would bake now but it gets sooo hot here I can't handle the oven on). I am copying this recipe and looking forward to my fall baking frenzy...if I can hold off that long :-0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. These came just in time as I want to send a dessert with my 13 year old daughter, who also eats paleo, to a 4th of July party. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About how much almonds did you need to make the almond flour? I have trouble finding almond flour in my area

    I'm very excited to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathlene: Oh man, I think I got a few pounds of almonds. I made the mistake of not weighing how many almonds I got. I ended up buying sliced almonds because for some reason they were cheaper than whole almonds. I filled the bag (bought in bulk) about half way full. It seemed like a ridiculous amount of almonds but since I use them so much I figured it would be better to have too much than too little. If you end up with not enough almonds, you can also add in some coconut flour.

    John: For egg allergies you can substitute eggs by mixing 1tbs flaxseed and 2-3 tbs of water to equal one egg.

    Hope this helps! Let me know how yours turn out! I'm definitely interested to hear of someone else making them.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda