Tuesday, June 28, 2011

If You Get Credit For Trying . . .

I would have an A+.

Ok, so since I'm a crazy person, I made attempt #3 at Banana Bread. I know, I know, you're sitting there saying "Enough with the banana bread already! Move on!" The problem with that is that I can't move on! There is something in me that makes me crazy, as noted in my statement above.

I just can't move on to Paleo Cookies until I've figured out what could possibly be going wrong in my paleo baking department. That being said . . .

Baking is hard.

There. I said it.

On that note, banana bread try #3 was a new recipe, brought to me by blog reader Cathy who gave it to me after my latest banana adventure. And it actually turned out incredibly well, if it wasn't for the fact that the middle didn't cook all the way. I'm going to venture a guess that is because of user error. At this very moment I'm in my pjs, not awake for more than a few minutes and the banana bread is back in the oven, probably burning but I'm hoping the center will warm up just a bit more. It turned out so well otherwise that I'm at the point where I'm considering chopping it up and laying the pieces on a cookie sheet to firm up. If I was religious I'd be down on my knees praying that I could just get one recipe for banana bread to work! Instead I'm just on my knees, staring through the glass oven door and wishing I hadn't gotten down on my knees in the first place because now they hurt. Ok, end of tangent.


So because everything else about this recipe turned out AMAZING, and it used the ingredients I wanted it to, I'm going to share it. 

Again, I might lose some readers due to boredom from lack of topics, but hang in there. I'll move on . . . someday.

Banana Bread Part 3 (brought to us by Cathy! Thank you Cathy you are amazing!) using . . .


Almond Flour! *the crowd cheers!*

What I love about this recipe was that you can alter it to your tastes. Cathy wasn't sure where she got the recipe from, but I like that it gives you options. And truth be told, that could be where my baking went wrong, but it's still a fabulous recipe.

Ingredients
1/4 cup plain yogurt, whey or milk (Cathy uses coconut milk, I used almond milk.)
1-2 TBS. honey, optional (I used honey because, well, I have a sweet tooth to support.)
3 organic eggs, beaten
3 mashed extra-ripe bananas
3 cups ground almond flour

Pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (Cathy said she uses a lot more than a pinch . . . so I did too.)
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
(No nuts were used in either of our breads)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Mix together yogurt, eggs, and bananas in large bowl and stir until well combined.


Mix almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and walnuts into the wet ingredients.


Pour into 8x8 glass Pyrex dish and bake for 35-40 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the bread will have pulled away from the sides.

. . . . . . . .

Uh oh . . . .

. . . . . . . .

. . . I just realized where I went wrong.

The DISH!

This is LIVE entertainment people! I used a loaf pan. Whoops.

Don't you love it when I do stupid things that make everyone else seem much more intelligent? Because I sure do! That's what I'm here for, people!


Remember how I said the center didn't cook all the way? Yeah, I was right when I said it was my fault. It actually sunk when I took it out of the oven, like a cake when you check it and then slam the door to the oven. Aye.


But the flavor was SPOT ON! I got a good idea of the way it should turn out by eating the edges and OH BABY! It's good!


Mitch just tried a piece and I swear his eyes bugged out as he went "MMMMM!"


I hope that you give this recipe a shot. If it wasn't for my carelessness I would give it 10 out of 10. It was so necessary to share this recipe with you that I am putting off getting ready for work just to type this out. You should really thank me.

Let's give Cathy a round of applause!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Thank you! I am glad you gave it a try. Now that I am thinking about it, I think I bake it longer than recommended. The taste is good though, isn't it? I took it to a potluck and had two emails the next morning wanting the recipe. These two gals aren't even paleo or grain free eaters!!! I hope the next try is a success. Paleo cookies??? Looking forward to reading that post.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda