Monday, July 25, 2011

BFF

This weekend was the first time it hit me that my best girl friend, Melissa, will be moving and leaving me soon. Boo. Sad face.


I have never been the type of person to always have a "BFF" outside of my family. I've had great friends. True friends. But never really someone that I said, "I can trust this person with my life."

Ok, sorry Mitch, I feel that way about you. You're my BFF, don't worry! ;-)

But Melissa is my girl. She is my closest girlfriend. We are so similar in so many ways, and we love each other's differences. Perfect match!

Mel and I on her birthday this last December.

Melissa and I met in college at Western. I was casting my first little directing project (a 10 minute, student written play), and cast her as the lead female. It was also her first show to act in. Oh how cute! Not long after, I was casting my first large production (using the word "large" graciously), and remembered her from before, so I hunted her down and cast her again. Funny enough, through the audition process I ended up casting her boyfriend, Adam, in the show as well, so I got to know the both of them really well in that time. (It turned out to be an amazing show, by the way!)

Melissa, me, Mitch, and Melissa's man Adam.
Blondes and Brunettes. HA!

As time went on in school she and I stayed acquaintances, but it wasn't until the two of us were cast in the same touring theatre, MOTley (Western's Multicultural Outreach Tour program), that we really began to connect.

 Mid-MOTley performance at an elementary school.

Right after Mitch and I got married and he moved to Utah, Melissa and I started to spend a lot of time together. We became amazing friends, and I am so glad that I had her to help me get through what could have been a very lonely situation.


On the day of my graduation, I decided not to walk. My family couldn't be there because they all had plans to come up to Bellingham for our wedding reception the week after, and my husband couldn't be there because of work, so I chose to spend the day with my friend instead! I've never been one for normalcy, so I will always look back on my graduation day and remember how I spent it laying by the pool at my best friend's apartment complex!


When I moved with Mitch to Utah I lost touch with a lot of friends. But in that year, every time I came back to visit it was as if no time had passed with Melissa. When we moved back to Bellingham, Melissa and I were closer than ever, and it's been the funnest year being able to spend as much time as I can with my girl!

Nope, I don't know what we're doing in this photo.
It wouldn't be fair if I didn't post an embarrassing picture of us.

In the next month she'll be leaving me to move to Indiana with her man. It breaks my heart to think that I won't be able to see her whenever I want. But no matter what happens or how far away we are, Melissa will always be my girl!


Love you so much, Mel!


Do you have any close friends who live far away? How have you stayed in touch over the years? Let's hear about your BFF!

1 comment:

  1. Since I have moved alot in my days, I several close friends I keep in touch with throughout the years. One I met when I was 15..we are talking along time ago..we still stay in touch. I stay in touch via, phone conversations (I hate texting but that is me personally) and face to face visits with an occassionall email thrown in.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda