Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Celebrating Independence

I hope you all had a wonderful long, fourth of July weekend!




What did we do?

We invented cocktails. . . .

Ok well we probably weren't the first people to ever think of these cocktail ideas but we had a fun time anyway. Mitch made his Caipirinha-Margarita mix, which he called a Margarinha. It involved tequila, lime and sugar. Sounds like a kick in the butt, huh? He said it tasted delicious.




Muddle some limes in sugar. Add ice. Add tequila. Drink. Bam.




My cocktail was a mix of lemonade, gin (my fav.) and club soda. It's been made before? What? Oh well.




You got your ice. You add some gin. And then some lemonade.




Then soda.




And it tastes delicious.




Yes, this weekend we celebrated our right to party like rock stars.




OK maybe not. We're a little more mellow than that. But we still had a good time.

Saturday night there was a concert at a park near by.




One thing we love about Bellingham is that if there is outdoor music, the people will come!




And there were some very entertaining people, that's for sure . . .




But on the actual day of the 4th, we simply relaxed. That's how we celebrate our country. Enjoying where we live and our day off!


Don't laugh at my giant forehead. 

I also realized I can fit into my husband's swim trunks. Ok, they were a little baggy. Whatever.

And for dinner? Mitch made delicious bbq ribs!




We might have to beg Mitch to share the recipe with us.

And I made a yummy salad (Lyda's Lemonade Vinaigrette Salad). Want that recipe?

Ingredients
Lettuce
2 Granny Smith Apples
1/3 cup Spanish roasted peanuts
(I didn't have the Spanish peanuts at the time. I wish I did. They're yummy. But I did have sunflower seeds so it worked.)
Dressing:
1 tbs white wine vinegar
2 tbs white granulated sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice (about 1 big ol' lemon)




Mix your vinaigrette dressing together. Chop up the apples. I chop some into small chunks, and some into thin slices.

Toss the apples with the lettuce and dressing (and hey, if you have other stuff you want to throw in the salad, go for it!) Top with nuts and a few pretty slices of apple.




It's a really sweet, fresh, and a little sour of a salad. Mitch loves it. It's good for summer.

Anyways, that was my relaxing weekend. Pretty laid back, eh?

How did you spend the 4th?



Tomorrow will be the first day of our new segment, RA Friends! If you'd like to be involved, send me an email at lydaclark.blog@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda