Friday, July 1, 2011

What's Up Doc?

This morning I had an appointment with Doc Wiz. Just a regular check-in to see how things are going. All good stuff. And it went well. Nothing catastrophic. I learned I'm a lot more stable than I thought, so that's a good thing. I mentioned I'm not as mentally stable as my joints might be. He just laughed.

It got me thinking . . . I feel like I hear so often people stressed about their doctors. They either don't trust their doc, or they are afraid of their doc, or they just don't feel like their doctor really cares about them. It makes me so upset to hear that people are putting up with such crappy doctors.

I know, sometimes you're in a situation where you don't have much of a choice, but I stand by my statement that it is worth the time and the money to find yourself a doctor you feel 100% comfortable with.

That being said, it took me a while to get to that point with my doc. I'm very wary of trusting doctors. I need my doctor to know all about me, and for me to know all about them, before I'm OK with them. I have to learn the best way to communicate with them, but they also need to make the effort to understand how I communicate. I need to be more than just another patient. I need to be "Lyda, that crazy girl that talks loudly and cracks jokes at uncomfortable situations but I know how she works and what works for her."


One of my biggest fears is that sometime in the future I will move on from Bellingham and have to move on from Doc Wiz. It's very rare that you are able to show up to your doctor's office in your sweats, take off your shoes immediately (because you know you'll have to eventually so why not get comfy now?), and curl up on the exam table, nursing your morning coffee. Your doc comes in and you say, "What's up Doc? How ya doin'?"

You gotta be comfortable. It's your health you're dealing with, you need to be able to say exactly what you feel and not worry about it.

I almost always bring Mitch with me to my appointments, even if they're little check ups. It's important to me that no matter how comfortable I am with a doctor, that I have an advocate. Someone to help me bring up questions I might forget, maybe bring up concerns I wouldn't have thought of. It's all good stuff. He's a good support system. Another must-have when it comes to doctor visits in my opinion.


So have I been rambling on enough? Are you convinced you need to be good with your doc in order to have a good RA treatment? Do you need to eat more paleo choco chip cookies? The answer is YES.

The advice is free!

I'm here every day!


Happy Friday, friends! Enjoy the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Well I have NOOO doubt you feel comfy with your doc and that is wonderful! Finding that doc can take awhile though and I couldn't agree with you more...keeping looking, keeping searching until you get a good match. I am back in the looking phase and keep putting if off. At some point I know I will mentally kick myself for not being more aggressive about this search but I am tired right now with it all. My area is limited with docs but I need to put this back at the top of my to do list.

    Love your PIC! Thanks for the smile. You made my day :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda