Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Last Day & Too Many Goodbyes

It's been a long day. It started early with the company moving our cars showing up at 7:45am. Luckily I had a cup of coffee in me before I had to say goodbye to the White Ninja, my beloved Hyundai Accent.




Then the movers came. They were a pleasant bunch, my new bffs. They worked hard packing, while I worked hard at staying out of their way while they wrapped every single item in our apartment. Including the couch.




I also kept busy entertaining them with the goofy things I would say every few minutes. Like, "What's the weirdest thing you've ever had to pack and move?" We were all laughing after that question was answered.




Eventually they packed up the entire apartment. It took them maybe . . . 2 hours? I don't know, I lost track of time.




Then we had to head over to the storage unit to pack up the rest. And when I say "we" I mean they packed it and Mitch and I threw around a football for a few minutes before just standing around. Since our cars were moved (I first typed the word stolen . . . I must be tired.) we had to hitch a ride with the movers. In their semi-truck. It was AWESOME!




Again, more laughing ensued as I got overly excited about climbing like a monkey into a semi and then asking all sorts of questions about what it's like to be a mover.




We made it to the unit and they continued to work their magic. Have you ever seen professional movers work? They are crazy fast and I found myself just standing there in awe while they perfectly packed and organized every piece of furniture.




It didn't take long for them to finish, and once they were done we wished them a safe drive and a thank you and parted ways.


Our third goodbye of the day was to our best friend Matt.




Mitch's roommate in college, old co-worker and best friend over the last million years. We've been saying goodbye to everyone for so long, but tonight, knowing this would be the last time we would all get dinner and drinks together in Bellingham, it was pretty sad. Luckily he has plans to come to the island at Christmas so we will happily welcome him then!


Goodbyes are hard. We had to say goodbye to our nieces (once again, for what seems like the millionth time. Why did we start saying goodbye so soon? It made it so shocking when we actually realized we were leaving!) this last weekend, and it was heartbreaking.




We spent good time with them, reading books, playing in the pool and painting our nails.




I also had to finally say goodbye to my parents. All went well until my dad and I hugged . . . then we all started crying. It's a great thing to be moving to Hawaii, but saying goodbye is hard. And I've said way too many goodbyes lately! So now, there will be no more goodbyes. They have all been said. Our one-way flight is tomorrow, so the next time you hear from me I'll be on Oahu. Aloha, my friends. Have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. After upteen moves, I say see you later but never good-bye. You will see them all later and I really, really believe this as you are moving to Hawaii which is a perfect vacation spot for all.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda