Monday, August 1, 2011

Storage Wars

Oh man, it's been a long, exhausting weekend. Not only was boutique work involved, but personal work that needed to be taken care of was involved as well! Mainly dealing with our nasty, cluttered, dusty storage unit.

It's a big headache. I get dizzy just looking at it.


When we moved from our last house here in Bellingham to Utah, we put everything in storage. In Utah we had a very convenient furnished corporate housing so we only brought with us the essentials and a few extras. But our previous housing was a big two bedroom, two bathroom condo that we filled with everything we could find. A storage unit was necessary.

When we moved back, we moved into our tiny apartment, and kept a majority of our things in storage. I sold a few things, like our guest bed, old amps, etc. We took out things as we needed them, like our Christmas decorations and golf clubs, but generally left most of it alone. We went through the winter without doing much in there. It just sat, a big, picked-through mess.

 
Obviously the kitties have a lot of junk.

It was time to do something about it. Decisions had to be made about what we wanted to keep, what we wanted to donate, and what was complete garbage. Let me tell you, there was a lot of garbage. The good thing is that I love throwing crap away. It makes me feel in control, organized, like I'm getting rid of the unnecessary clutter in my life.

The fun part about going through all your old junk is finding all the old junk you forgot about. Yearbooks, shoes, old cell phones . . .


Headlamps, and Canadian flags . . .


Screeching because I thought I found a dead mouse, but really it was just an old cat toy . . .


Also gross to find unopened jars of fish sauce. WHAT WAS I THINKING SAVING THAT?!?!?!?


And get ready for it . . . probably the funniest picture of me ever.

Holding walkie-talkies that we found buried deep in a box of ski junk . . .


BAHAHAHAHAHA!

So excited about those . . . where else will you find someone who blogs the most ridiculous pictures of themselves? Yeah, I'm just asking to be laughed at.

The biggest obstacle was simply dividing the things so that we can easily come back and make trips to donation centers easily. We made a couple of trips to the dump today and oh it was beautiful. I was so happy.


But the organization process involved us removing almost everything from the unit, and then carefully putting it back in in a way that didn't make our heads spin. In the middle of the madness, I tried to remember what it was like to have gone through all this organizing last summer, when we came back in town, and I had both knees, elbows and hips swollen. Can't remember how I accomplished anything!


When we got home after a long day of furniture moving and sorting, we cleaned up, ate a delicious dinner that I will write about later (wink!) and then decided to make some last minute paleo cookies. But this time I wanted to do things a little different . . .


Instead of the usual 3 cups of Almond Flour, I decided to change things up by adding some Hazelnut Flour to the mix.

The other change was instead of using the non-paleo chocolate chips used for your average choco chip cookie, I found some 70% dark chocolate in the cabinet, chopped it up, and added that instead. Half of the cookies I used no chocolate at all.

The cookies turned out pretty good. Next time I want to use more hazelnut because the flavor didn't come out as much as I wanted it to. Luckily I have a lot left! Enough for another batch. Anyone want to be a taste-tester?


The chocolate-free cookies were awesome. This is where I am thinking more hazelnut flour would be great. But I'm a fan of them as-is. Can this count as a breakfast cookie, please?


As far as the chocolate goes, it was obviously a very different flavor than your usual chocolate chip cookie. I guess I'm normally used to a cookie being super sweet, comfort food, glass of milk, yum.


But you know when you have a piece of dark chocolate, how it's rich and almost savory? All you need is just a little bit and you are overblown with delicious chocolate flavor. That's how these cookies are. Which it's probably a good thing I didn't eat five right off the bat, but it's just unexpected. They are like a more mature version of the usual choco-chip cookie. Delicious, nonetheless.


Tomorrow I'll share our dinner with you, which I'm sure you are just thrilled about! Right now, I have to get back to cuddling with little Tesla while I relax with a happy belly!

Hope you all have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the link Cathy posted the other day and just thought I'd say hello. It's great to "meet" another woman my age with RA! I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Helen! Thanks for saying hello! Can't wait to get to know you better. :o) -Lyda

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda