Saturday, August 27, 2011

Weekend Surprise Post

It's the weekend! And I'm spending it with my family by the pool. And blogging. Because I abandoned you all the last two days. Traveling and working hard on the move has kept me from writing and posting. Oh the humanity!


Those of you who have ever moved in your life know the stress and chaos it causes. The madness!


To make up for my lack of updates I'm surprising you with this special weekend post. Lucky, lucky you!




Let's see what we've been up to in the last few days . . .


Prepping for the busy week.


The trip to Hawaii was crazy. Busy. Running around all over searching for a place to live. Luckily we got hooked up with a rental agent who did a lot of the searching work for us.




She toured us around the island, showed us over 15 rental properties, taught me how to pronounce all the vowels in the Hawaiian language, and introduced us to one of the most beautiful areas on the island of Oahu.




Eventually we found the perfect place: a small unit across the street from the beach in Kailua. We fell in love with the town and how green and beautiful it is. It's on the wetter side of the island, so it's cooler and lush.


After we found our new home. Excited.


For those of you who are interested, Kailua is the town that president Obama likes to take his family on vacation. I figure, if it's good enough for the president . . .




After we found our apartment, signed the forms and handed over a deposit, we got to relax. 




We also celebrated my birthday while we were there, in between the frantic search for a home. Before our rental search began we enjoyed the biggest, most delicious breakfast on the deck of our hotel room. Yum.


 Yum.


For my surprise, we went to Roy's on Waikiki. We had an amazing dinner, where we got adventurous and for our entree we ordered the Kampachi - a whole fish, stuffed with lemon and wrapped in bacon, topped with a jalapeno chimichury. Oh baby was it delicious (or Ono in Hawaiian). And I got even more adventurous and ate . . . the fish eye. Yikes. Cross that off the bucket list.




The dinner was finished off with a little happy birthday surprise: molten chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream, and a little sampler of pineapple upside-down cake. Oh lawdy it was good.




We had very little downtime while we were there, but we did manage to get to the beach for a few minutes.




We got to enjoy some more delicious Hawaiian "grinds". Poke is a popular dish - raw fish, usually ahi sashimi, mixed in a delicious sauce. It was AH-Mazing! 




We also happened to be in town just in time for Oceanfest, and caught sight of the longboard competition and tandem surfing. Pretty cool.


Statue of Duke Kahanamoku


And of course, we took some time to check out our new home.




I feel so lucky to be able to move to such a beautiful place. Paradise. I can't wait to take you all along with me on this adventure!


2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, lucky you!! We vacationed there a few years ago and I was surprised at how cool it was up in the mountains. Have you seen the beautiful Byodo-In temple up there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you! Adventuring we will go!

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda