Monday, October 10, 2011

Bread? Really?

Alright, friends, I have a new one for ya. A crazy idea in the land of paleo eating.

Bread.


Yessiree, I managed to find a recipe for bread that fit into my paleo diet plan, just in time for PALEOctober! I bought this fantastic cookbook by Elana Amsterdam called The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. Genius, right? I thought so. This book is full of delicious looking and sounding foods that I almost can't stand it. I have yet to really tackle much of these recipes, but I'm working on it.


But I did attempt her sandwich bread recipe. And let me just say, I am impressed. Of course, I must preface this by saying it in no way is going to taste like your average wonder bread (crap), but it also doesn't taste like the nasty processed rice bread crap you buy in the gluten-free section of the grocery store (also crap). This bread tastes good enough for me to not spit it out immediately. I actually want to eat another piece. Yum.


My only complaint is that it doesn't rise to an average bread size. If you were to make a sandwich with it, it would be a pretty small sandwich. Apparently the size of loaf pan I own is slightly larger than what Elana recommends to use. But it made perfectly sized French toast, and I'm all for that. You can find the recipe in her book. Get the book, make some almond flour, and enjoy.


Ingredients

3/4 cup creamy almond butter (at room temperature)
4 eggs
1/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbs ground flax meal

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 7x3 loaf pan with grapeseed oil and dust with almond flour.

In a large bowl, mix the almond butter with a mixer until smooth. Then blend in the eggs.


In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt, baking soda and flax meal.


Blend the almond flour mixture into the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.


Bake for 40 to 45 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven. It's done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for an hour or so, then serve. Woo!


The bread has that delicious almond butter flavor which is surprising but amazing. It makes me want to add a bit of almond butter to it. My plans for breakfast is to slather some strawberry jam on a couple of toasted slices. How long has it been since I've had toast for breakfast? I can't remember the last time!


Like I mentioned above, yesterday I used this bread to make French toast. Yum. I'll post that later for you. For now, try the bread, let me know what you think. And if you have any ideas of how I can get this bread bigger without buying a different pan, I would love it!

I'll be making this again, for sure. Maybe weekly. Maybe daily. Maybe hourly. Depending on how much I eat. YUM.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm looks great! The boyfriend made a delicious cinnamon bread this weekend. It had small amounts of dairy, but we used rice flour instead. I could hardly tell the difference, but my body loved the gluten-free aspect. I think next on his list is pumpkin bread. I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda