Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Comforting Paleo French Toast

Living in Hawaii can be hard on a girl.

Let me rephrase that . . .

Living in a new place can be hard on a girl.

I have the same things. Same furniture, same car, same clothes, same husband. But the furniture is in a new home, the car has new license plates, I have no need for 50 sweaters, and my husband has a new job and a new tan. Things are the same but different. Hopefully I'm not alone in this feeling of confusion. The feeling that everything has been uprooted and I can't quite figure out where I fit in.


To put it in simple terms, I'm not a local, I'm not a tourist, and I'm not in the military. The three main categories for people in Hawaii. Eventually I'll find my place, but for now I'm just floating somewhere in between.


And while floating and emotions running wild, a girl needs a little comfort. Comfort food, that is. That's where Mitch comes in. And Mitch makes French Toast.

French toast is one of those dishes that Mitch makes when time calls for it. It's always delicious, always filling, always comforting, and just what I needed. With the bread I made the night before, we took another recipe from the Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook and whipped up some French toast for breakfast on Sunday. And may I just say it was pretty dang good.



Ingredients

1/4 cup coconut milk*
2 tablespoons agave nectar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6-8 slices of bread

*As far as the coconut milk goes, we used coconut milk we had on hand, though since it is a substitution for heavy cream, I'm assuming she might have wanted us to use the cans of coconut milk instead. Either way, it turned out great.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream, agave nectar, eggs, vanilla, salt and cinnamon until all mixed up.


Soak the slices of bread in the liquid mixture for at least five minutes on each side. We found the need to soak it for a little longer than the book says to when using my paleo bread.


Heat 2 tbs grapeseed oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the bread slices until golden brown on each side.


Serve with some 100% maple syrup, berries, whipped cream, whatever you have that would be delicious on top. And enjoy!


Comfort food at it's best!

2 comments:

  1. It should be noted that after the all the french toast was dipped and cooking on the skillet, I had lots of leftover batter. Being one that hates wasting food, I decided to try and cook up the batter like scrambled eggs. It was definitely different (usually scrambled eggs aren't sweet), but it was actually really good. It was kind of like a custard, more than scrambled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love comfort food? I hope adjusting to island life gets easier :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda