Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween!

Happy Halloween! I hope you all are having a very festive day. Halloween has always been one of my favorite days of the year. I don't know what it is about it. Lots of candy, lots of scary movies, lots of awesome costumes. Perhaps it's the actor in me that gets a kick out of creative costumes and dressing up. Or maybe it's one of the few times of the year where you can buy large bags of candy without questioning looks from others at the grocery store.


This year's last minute Halloween costume. I went as my cat.


This year has been a little different in the fact that Halloween kind of snuck up on me. It feels like summer here still so when I realized that it was the weekend before Halloween I was shocked. I had to get right on watching some "Halloweenie" scary movies. I'm not usually a big horror movie fan, but every once in a while I get in the mood for something scary, and Halloween is usually one of those times when I can't get enough!


Mitch's costume. Showing his Canadian blood as a rioter from the 2011 playoffs.


I also love Halloween parties. Something about decorating your home with fake cobwebs, colored lightbulbs and creepy things is just awesome. A couple years back we went all out for Halloween, going as far as covering our couches with drop-cloths and serving punch out of a smoking cauldron. The day of the party we drove an hour outside of town just to find a liquor store that sold black vodka in order to make totally awesome Halloween cocktails.


Halloween Party 2008. Zombie John McCain and Rouge Sarah Palin.


Halloween was also the holiday that saw the birth of my famous Pumpkin Cake. When I say famous, I mean I talk about it all the time because I love it therefore everyone knows about it. You can find the recipe for this amazing (non-paleo) cake here.


Pumpkin carving with the kitties, Halloween 2009


This year we went along with our neighbors into Waikiki where I spent time people watching. Do you know how fun it is to watch people act ridiculous in bars? On Halloween it's multiplied by a million. It was extremely entertaining. I learned, though, that my little body can't handle staying up all night like others in my age bracket. I guess I'm more of the house-party type. Or perhaps just taking my nieces trick-or-treating like last year! Probably my favorite Halloween so far.


Playing with our neighbor's dog.


In the spirit of Halloween and Halloween parties and staying up all night, I'm going to share with you a crazy little drink that Mitch makes us at this time every year. Actually, it's a shot. It's not as potent as most shots, and it tastes very sweet and peachy, but it looks fantastic. Perfect for Halloween. It's called a "Brain Hemorrhage"




Ingredients
Peach Schnaps
Bailey's Irish Cream
Grenadine


Fill a shot glass 2/3 of the way with Peach Schnaps.


Float the Bailey's on top of the Peach Schnaps.


Slowly add a small amount of Grenadine on top. You can either pour directly, or use something like a eye-dropper or a straw to control it easier. Add as much grenadine as you need for the desired effect. It will sink to the bottom of the glass, pulling the Bailey's with it and creating a disturbing looking thing. It's sure to make your party guests cringe, but the taste is delicious. Like peaches and cream!




Enjoy! And have a safe and happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda