Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Throw Everything Together

With PALEOctober in full-force, there are bound to be recipes. Lots of recipes. Because I'm sitting here with nothing to do all day and I'm hungry. Not only am I hungry, but food is expensive here in Hawaii so I'm forced to be as frugal as possible, whether I like it or not. That means I have to get creative.

Now, those of you who have been following my blog for any amount of time know that I have a sweet tooth. My whole mouth is full of sweet teeth. Sweet mouth - it's a disorder that can only be cured with the intake of sugar. Send your prayers and best wishes. It's got a hold of me, big time.

With my diet lacking in the last two months, I let go and allowed myself to indulge in just about anything I wanted. Cookies? Go for it. Cake? Yum. Ice cream? In my belly. It was a no holds barred food frenzy.

Needless to say, when PALEOctober came around, my desire for sweets was more . . . necessary for survival. I got angry without any sugar. No sweets made Lyda turn into Godzilla, storming around the house, knocking over lamps, tearing down window treatments, smashing dishes, punching holes in the walls. True story. It was madness. Something needed to be done to tame this urge. This ridiculous craving.

That's where the decision to make a fruit crisp came into play.


Now I had never made any sort of fruit crisp, crumble or cobbler before. To be honest, I was never a big fan. Not sure why, so don't ask. But as I was flipping through Elana's cookbook, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour book, I found the idea for making this fruity dessert and was intrigued. Looking around at the terrorist disaster that was my apartment, I realized that for the safety of my furnishings, I needed to try this.


I don't have a recipe for you. If I did, I would. It is PALEOctober and that means lots of new paleo recipes. But this was a last minute decision and thus there was not much thought that went into it ahead of time. I did, however, look at about a million different websites with recipes for fruit crisps which I will list . . .

Elana's Pantry - Peach Crisp

Caveman Strong - Paleo Apple Crumble

Caveman Strong - Apple Crisp

Everyday Paleo Blackberry Cobbler

Paleo Apple Crisp

Modern Paleo Warfare - Pear Crisp (Um, looks amazing, I'm just sayin'.)


In my kitchen, the technique for making fruit crisp/crumble/cobbler was to read recipes, get the gist, then gather what ingredients I had in my kitchen at that moment and bake. Here's what I came up with . . .

I had frozen peaches and blackberries. Awesome. That's a good start. I had almond flour. Yes. I had coconut oil and grapeseed oil. Check. I had a bunch of other things too.


I took note of some of the recipes and used about a cup of almond flour (ok, maybe more, I think at some point I added another half cup), and about a cup of oil. I think I mixed coconut and grapeseed but I can't be sure. Then I threw in some vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I found a jar of strawberry jam, so I threw that in with the fruit.


Fruit first, all mixed up with some strawberry jam and a little arrowroot powder. Just cuz. Then mixed all my dry ingredients. I added some agave nectar to the dry mix, but really, it wasn't necessary. But since I needed my sweet fix, I threw some in there. Oh yeah, and the kitchen sink.

Bake at 350 for somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes. You get peach-blackberry crisp/crumble. Add some coconut ice cream and you are good to go.


Sweet tooth subsides. For now.

1 comment:

  1. At 4AM his morning, I ate this for breakfast, and it was the best thing I had ever eaten...

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda