Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Paleo Pumpkin Pie

With Thanksgiving on it's way, I felt it was time to attempt paleo pumpkin pie once again. My first attempt was a decent try. A good effort. But nothing special enough to write about.




This time I used what I learned from my previous baking, and what I knew about the ingredients needed, to come up with a pie recipe that was tweaked here and there. My inspiration was from the same recipe used last time for the filling, and based on a tart crust recipe found here.


Let's start with the crust.




For the record, let me say that the crust dough did not look like the the picture on the Elana's Pantry website, where I found the recipe. But it did turn out pretty well. The original recipe uses only almonds for the flour, but I chose to use a mixture of almonds and hazelnuts.


Pie Crust Ingredients

2 cups blanched almond flour and hazelnut flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs coconut oil
1 egg

Needed: Food processor


First, blend the flours and the salt in the food processor.




Add the coconut oil and egg to the mixture and pulse. The dough will begin to form into a ball.




Take out the dough. If not all of it got formed into the ball, add the extra. 




Press dough into your pie dish. It will seem to be extra oily. 




Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. 


While the crust is baking, mix the pie filling. Alter the amount of spices for your tastes.


Pumpkin Pie Filling Ingredients

1 14oz can pumpkin puree 
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
2 eggs
1/4 cup agave nectar 
1/4 cup coconut milk

The instructions are easy - mix all ingredients together, one at a time, in a bowl. 

Pour filling into the baked pie crust. 




Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees. 


After the pie cooled I put it in the freezer over night and took it out in the morning. It was still a bit cold when I went to slice it but I liked the way it held together that way.




And I have to admit, I made a disastrous mistake after the pie was cooked . . . when placing the pie in the freezer, a jar of something (perhaps ice cream?) fell on top . . . and it ended up like this . . .




Throw some whipped cream on top and no one will notice!




Unfortunately this mistake made for very ugly photos.


This pie was child approved by my three nieces. Hopefully this recipe will be a help to those of you working on your paleo thanksgiving dinner!




I hope you all have a wonderful day full of lots of delicious food!


Oh, and a big thank you to the people at Be @ Home for giving me an "Editor's Choice Award" for this website! Wow! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda