Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thanksgiving. Paleo. Treats. Question Mark.

So I'm currently searching for the best recipe for a Thanksgiving dessert, hopefully paleo, possibly vegan, definitely delicious. I have a recipe for a pumpkin pie with almond flour crust (yes, this cookbook is amazing). I have interest in a spice cake recipe that I randomly found by searching blogs all day. And I attempted a recipe for pumpkin bars . . . and the bars are gone.




They were good. A good base anyway. I would share the recipe but they need some work. They had great flavor, great spice, but the texture wasn't quite right. It was an almond flour based recipe but for some reason they kind of just . . . fell apart in your mouth. A little too gooey for my tastes. But promising nonetheless.




It's gonna take a bit more work. But I'm not sold on it yet.


Here's where you come in, dear readers . . .


If you have a totally awesome recipe that would be perfect for Thanksgiving and delicious to boot, please send it my way. I would be ever so grateful and my belly will thank you.


For now, it's back to baking. Pie perhaps? We'll see how it goes.


Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Let us know what you decide on. I am in the beginnings of planning our paleo Thanksgiving. My son has already requested a pumpkin roll that is gluten free but not grain free. I would play around with the recipe beforehand, but I know I would eat the whole roll myself if it turns out. :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few favorite gluten free recipes and I'm sure they could be adapted a little.

    Pumpkin bread: http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-pumpkin-bread-393411

    Corn bread:
    http://glutenfreemommy.com/gluten-free-cornbread/

    And cinnamon bread: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/cinnamon-bread-i/detail.aspx

    The first two recipes are straight-forward. The third is a little tricky. The topping it talks about should really be put a little on top of the batter as it first goes in and then probably 10 minutes before it comes out. Otherwise, it all sinks to the bottom.

    We like to add extra grains to our foods, and often add in a handful of teff, amaranth, or spelt (not gluten-free though so watch out) to our foods, especially to breads. It really helps get extra nutrition into those delicious breads.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda