Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Fruit Dessert

I'm still recovering from Food Belly.


Definition: Belly full of food.


Christmas dinner was awesome, but I'm definitely feeling the negative effects of eating so much food that I'm not used to eating on a regular basis. See: Dairy.




Oh dairy, how I love you. But how my joints hate you. Oh the aches that come with dairy consumption!


But I still stand by the fact that it was all amazing food. I do not regret eating piles and piles of mashed potatoes with peas, which I am eating as I write this. Or the delicious homemade dinner rolls. Or the quiche . . . OH the quiche! (I'll share it, don't worry.)




But of all the awesome food made this weekend, the most delicious, and the most necessary to share with the world is the fruit tart.




Be still my heart! I have a new love. And it's strawberry-kiwi-raspberry tart.


Perhaps it's not the most seasonal of desserts, but any time you can find these amazing little fruits, you must buy them up, grab some cream and butter and make this tart immediately.




First . . . the crust. The amazing, cookie crust.


Ingredients:
1 egg yolk
1 tbs heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 tsp salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into pieces (about 1/2 inch)


1. Whisk the egg yolk, cream and vanilla together. Set aside.


2. In a food processor, process the flour, sugar and salt until combined.


3. Add the pieces of butter and use short pulses to combine until the mix is combined (My cookbook says until it resembles coarse cornmeal if that helps you.)


4. While the processor is still running, pour in the egg mixture and continue to process until the mix starts to come together almost in a ball.  Take out and wrap in plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator over night.


5. Let the chilled dough soften a little at room temperature before rolling it out into a tart pan. Place the tart pan onto a cookie sheet and move the rack to the middle of the oven.




6. Cover the tart crust with a sheet of foil (also covering the edges) and fill the crust with pie weights. Bake in the oven at 375 degree for 30 minutes (rotate halfway through). After 30 minutes, carefully take off the foil and weights and continue to bake for 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely before moving on.




Tart Filling Ingredients:
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
5 egg yolks
3 tbs cornstarch
4 tbs chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 in pieces
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Fruit (Use whatever fruit you like really. Here's what I used):
2-3 kiwis, peeled and sliced
1-2 cups strawberries, sliced
small amount of raspberries
1/2 cup red currant jelly


1. In a saucepan, bring the half-and-half and 6 tbs of the sugar to a simmer on medium-high heat. Add salt and stir.




2. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch and the remaining sugar together.


3. Slowly whisk about 1 cup of the simmering half-and-half mixture into the eggs to temper it. Slowly whisk the tempered yolk back into the saucepan and whisk constantly until simmering and thickened and small bubbles start bursting at the surface. Whisk whisk whisk!




4. Take the saucepan off the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla. Pour the cream into a bowl, layer a sheet of plastic wrap right on top of the cream and refrigerate for at least three hours (or overnight like me - I did all my prep work the day before.)




5. Spread the filling on the tart crust, filling all the way to the edge. Shingle the kiwi slices along the edge, then layer the strawberries next, and finally a little pile of raspberries in the middle.




6. Melt the currant jelly and drizzle over the tart to make a glaze.




7. Take out of the tart pan, serve it up and eat it until it's gone, which won't be long. This baby goes fast.




Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made spinach quiche for the holidays :-) I can't wait to try this tart....it looks yummy. And it looks similar to one I bought years ago for birthdays :-) Yummy, yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda