Friday, December 9, 2011

Totally Rockin' Jam Cookies

You didn't think I would stop at one dessert-y snack this week did you? Heck no!


I love cookies and I need cookies and I have a whole lotta free time.


So there.


Jam Cookies! 




The original recipe is from the cookbook Nourishing Traditions, which I checked out from the library a few months ago and didn't get much out of it. Instead I go to the blog of my friend Shaye, who posted the recipe here. Luckily this is another paleo recipe which rocks.


Go paleo jam cookies!


One reason I love this recipe is because I had all the ingredients I needed in my kitchen. That always makes me happy - not having to make a trip to the grocery store. 


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of blanched almonds
1/2 cup coconut oil (room temperature)
1 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 cup agave nectar (original recipe uses rapadura)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
lemon zest
jam - I had strawberry jam in the fridge so that's what I used but you can use whatever you like.



1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees (wait . . . I ended up having to up the temp to 350 degrees to get the cookies to finish cooking.) Let's go with 325 degrees.


2. Grind the almonds in the food processor. Exciting fact about this recipe - the food processor is all you really need. No extra bowls necessary!




By the way, if anyone wants to get me something for Christmas, I'd love a new food processor. You can buy me this one. I dream big.


3. Add the coconut oil and agave nectar.


The dough will get thicker, don't worry.
I just lost track and forgot to take more pictures I guess . . .


4. Add the arrowroot powder.

 
5. Add the salt, vanilla and lemon zest.


6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the dough into balls of whatever size cookie you'd like to eat. Yum.


What the heck, why didn't I take a picture of this step? 


Note: like the peppermint chocolates, rolling these into a ball will cause the coconut oil to start melting which means you will have very oily hands by the end of this.


7. Bake for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, take the cookies out of the oven and using the back of a spoon (or whatever) make an indent in the middle of each cookie.




8. Fill the indent with a bit of jam. The original recipe says a teaspoon. To be honest, there were a few cookies that ended up with a tad more than a teaspoon of jam and they turned out just as delicious.




9. Put back in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown at the bottom edges.




10. Eat like, fifty of these.


They're that delicious.




I am actively keeping myself from eating another cookie at this point. Mitch gets home on Saturday . . . I have to make sure there is at least one cookie for him to eat.


Hopefully he will be so lucky.


Happy Friday!


Updated 2/18/2012: These cookies are also great with different combinations of fruit. Replace lemon zest with orange zest. Replace strawberry jam for raspberry, blackberry, apricot jam etc.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great recipe to me. This should be some sweet homecoming :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda