Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Adventures With Lyda

Yesterday was an exciting day.


Mitch had the day off so we decided to go out and enjoy the amazingly beautiful day.


Seriously, it was gorgeous. Not a cloud in the sky.


I wish you were there.


Anyway, going along with one of my resolutions and trying out some new things, I went with Mitch to a local surf shop and rented a couple of paddleboards for the day.




I had never been paddleboarding before but Mitch had gone a couple of times and had enough of a handle on it to teach me how to get started. My wonderful, wonderful husband.


After stumbling down to the beach with the gargantuan board I was given, (Apparently the bigger the board the easier to use. They still had to give me a smaller one though because I'm tiny.) we made it into the water. I'm not sure if I took any people out with that board but once I was in the cool water it was full speed head.


Getting your balance at first is a little tricky, but I luckily didn't fall off the board. After paddling around in the ocean . . . in the OCEAN . . . I got the hang of it and was cruising in no time.




It helped that it was one of the calmest weekends we've seen in a long time.


We were able to get some of these great pictures because we brought my old camera with us in a small backpack Mitch wore.


Luckily it was the old camera.


Things went downhill when I offered to take a picture of Mitch on his board.


It happened to be an amazing picture of him, though! 
What's cookin' good lookin'?


Mitch asked me what happened that caused me to drop the camera into the ocean, but I had no good answer.


Nope. It just happened. In slow motion.


First the camera was launched out of my hand. Then I screamed at the top of my lungs. Then launched myself after the camera. Got the camera in my little hand, but then my sunglasses popped off my head.


Camera gone. Sunglasses gone. Lyda screaming and crying and flailing in the water in front of some of the largest, million dollar celebrity mansions in Lanikai.


Luckily, Mitch was able to dive down and get both of them, which happened to be located at the bottom of the ocean . . . also luckily it wasn't that deep.


After a while of sitting on my board, putting both the camera and my sunglasses into his backpack, I calmly said . . .


". . . I freaked out a little just now." 


Yep.


After that the day was great. I was able to cruise up and down the beach, calmly and confidently.




And for the most important part . . . my knees are totally fine!!


Celebration! Drinks all around!


Sure my shoulders and back are sore. And I have bruises on my hip from carrying the paddleboard to and from the car. But my joints feel fine.




So I continue to follow the rule that even with rheumatoid arthritis I can still do awesome things . . . like paddleboarding.


Take that arthritis!


Booya!


And good day!


3 comments:

  1. Looks like loads of fun. Could I have a chair mounted to the board for me :-) Love the pics! You look beautiful in that big lovely ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo fun! And great beach pictures. No fun about camera & glasses though.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda