Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Eat Healthy

The first key to living healthy is to eat healthy.


. . . duh, Lyda.


I know, I know. Big surprise. But it was a very interesting moment when I realized that things are starting to go down hill because I let my diet go for a few weeks.



The funny part was when Mitch and I both mentioned that we've been breaking out in pimples recently . . . pimples . . . out of nowhere . . . like angsty teenagers again. Awful.


I had also been cheating weight gain. After Thanksgiving I was gloating about how I hadn't gained any weight after all that feasting. Well, it's finally caught up to me.


And the laziness. Now there is a normal amount of laziness that I can live with. But recently, my energy levels have been much lower than normal, and that's saying a lot.




I thought a moment about just buying some of that acne treatment stuff I see on TV all the time while I'm being super lazy, but then it hit me. . .


I don't need to buy face wash, I need to get back to eating better.


And especially after having to skip my medicine this week due to the near-death plague I caught, I really have to watch what I'm eating to avoid any extra funny business in my joints.


It seems so easy to get rid of those bad eating habits, but it's not. I'm not going to bore you by turning into another diet blog, but I am going to encourage you to try cutting out a couple food groups: dairy and grains.




It's surprising to me what a huge change it makes. Taking out grains and dairy (dairy especially) not only makes me feel physically better but it improves my mood. My motivation. When you consider what you are fueling your body with, it makes total sense.


It makes even more sense that I've been feeling extra like garbage with this flu.


On top of eating better, those of us on immune-suppressant meds could do with some good immune-BOOSTING foods!


Nuts are totally delicious and also totally awesome for the immune system. Everyone always goes on about Brazil nuts and how they're the best because of the selenium they contain, but lots of other nuts are great too. Nuts are packed with Antioxidants and Vitamin E which rocks, and many nuts contain a good amount of omega-3s which we all know I'm a big fan of.




Check out this recipe for Sweet-and-Spicy Pecans and Walnuts . . . I want to eat these now.


Of course citrus fruits are a given when it comes to keeping away colds and things like that, with all that juicy Vitamin C they pack. I am dying to try this lobster and grapefruit salad recipe I found at Mark's Daily Apple, but have not yet. And as much as I would love a couple lobster tails in order to make it, my first venture into this salad will most likely be sans-lobster. Still, it looks amazing, and salads are a great way to incorporate more citrus into your wonderful life. 


You can also go here and find some of my recipes for delicious citrus-y beverages and my lemonade vinaigrette, though I don't think the drinks would be considered too immune-boosting. Maybe, though!




Garlic.


I love garlic.


And it's totally ballin' when it comes to the immune system. It was actually used as an antibiotic in WWI and WWII because all the badass infection kicking stuff it has in it. Awesome. Plus it makes things that much more delicious. I use garlic in just about everything. It's also why I have such great breath.




And of course, leafy greens are probably the best thing you could put into your body . . .ever. Just my opinion. Raw kale is especially good at kicking disease butt, or so I've heard. But raw kale . . . man, I guess salads are the way to go. I can't imagine just chomping on a leaf of kale as a snack, but if that sounds good to you, go for it!




I have a goal which is to try my best to have at least one green veggie on my plate every dinner. And a big pile of it too, which is why it's important to continue the search for new recipes. I recently stumbled upon Fast Paleo, a website where users can upload all the drool-worthy recipes they have for me to use. How nice of them!


Even more recently I tried a recipe, or I messed with a recipe, for baked broccoli (which sounds weird, but trust me, it was delicious).


Ingredients
1 pound of broccoli
olive oil
ground black pepper
garlic salt
almond flour (or bread crumbs if you want)


1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.


2. Cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces. Cut the stalk into thin, coin-like slices. (You can skip the stalk part if you prefer not to eat it.)


3. In a bowl, mix the broccoli with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Add salt and pepper to your taste.


4. On a foil-lined baking sheet, toast the almond flour/bread crumbs for a couple of minutes. Remove from the oven and mix in with the broccoli until the broccoli is nicely coated.


5. Pour the broccoli onto the same baking sheet and put back in the oven for 10-12 minutes (just until the broccoli is tender).


6. Eat. Yum.


This can also be done with Brussels sprouts and is equally delicious. I don't have pictures of this divine adventure because I was too busy scarfing it down to get the camera, but hopefully you get the idea.


Eat it. Enjoy it. Be healthy.


Check out some of my other paleo recipes or some of the paleo based websites on my links page.

2 comments:

  1. This is a timely article as I have been working diligently on getting my act together nutrition wise to battle Sjogren's. I have cut out dairy for the first time as well as fast food, soda, and as many processed foods as possible. I made my first full vegetarian meal from a new cookbook last night and I have to admit, I was shocked at how good it was!

    I have also been seriously increasing my greens. I have some suggestions to get more kale since I hear it is such a super food. You can make kale chips by tossing kale leaves in a little olive oil and salt and then baking them. They are quite good!

    My favorite is green smoothies where you blend kale with some water or non-dairy milk and add fruit. The fruit masks the veggies taste which is important to me! Especially being in Hawaii now, I bet you have a ton of great fruit options that would be yummy!

    Thanks for the reminder about how important it is to keep up with using nutrition as healing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh spinach and try to sneak it in every which way. I will have to try kale if I can get some here. And pineapple is one of my favs, particularly the fresh version. I wish our medical professionals would realize just how important pure (food without additives and artificial stuff) is in trying to maintain a healthy body. Unfortunately they do not. I really believe that eating healthy is a great way in trying to reduce our national health care costs but I often feel like I am out there in the universe alone...lol. And I find it ridiculous that prescription meds can be a tax deduction but not vitamins...even if the doc wants you on them. Unless they are a prescription and fulfilled at the pharmacy (which is usually not the organic or natural kind), one can't use them on one's taxes. Good luck on your quest. I will be thinking of you as I try to stay the course..well correct the course actually after the holidays :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda