Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lovin' Your Loves

One thing that unfortunately tends to get looked over when it comes to thinking of one's health is taking care of one's relationships.




I'm serious on this one. Friends, loves, family members you rarely think of, they're all important and all those relationships affect you whether you realize it or not. We really have to nurture our relationships with people we care for.




The other day I was able to skype (love it but I don't use it nearly enough) with my best girl friend who I hadn't talked to in . . . well, sadly to say, months! When I first moved here we got in touch, but we were both going through big moves and big developments in our lives and time slipped by. We were both focusing so much on our relationships with our spouses and trying so hard to build new relationships with our new acquaintances that we forgot to keep in touch with each other.




Of course we never let go completely, and finally we were able to match our schedules up to a time to talk.


And we talked.


And talked.


And it was as if no time had passed and we weren't over four thousand miles away from each other. After I hung up I instantly felt better. Where I once was a little too contained and uncharacteristically timid for some reason, I was now back to my normal, loud, emotional self. It was all thanks to a wonderful conversation with my best friend.


This little story has a point. The point is that we need to make sure to take time out of our busy schedules to talk to our friends. We need to open up to the people we love. In order to be healthy individually, we need to also be healthy socially. And that means caring for the loves of our lives. 




It also means cutting yourself from those toxic people out there. You know the ones. The person in your life who whenever you see them you are instantly drained of energy. They take and take and never give. In order for you to be healthy you have to excuse yourself from the relationship and move on. 




When we talk about being healthy we think about what we eat, what exercise we do, but we don't think about the people around us. The family we are born into and the family we choose. They affect our health just as much as the food we put into our bodies.


I gotta go make some phone calls now.

4 comments:

  1. Love this!

    Lyda, do I recall you telling me (probably not right place to post this) that anytime you would go over 10 mg of methotrexate you would get side effects? I am wondering as since Lacey increased from 10 to 12.5 she swears her mood has changed considerably and she says it is not acceptable. I sort of remember you mentioning some people having trouble with anything over 10? Thanks for any insight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My side effects on higher doses of Methotrexate were more along the lines of upset stomach and hair loss. Aye! I don't know much about mood changes though I'm sure with those side effects my mood wasn't very pleasant! And yes, I've talked to a handful of other people about this and many people have mentioned that they have to stay on a low dose. I'll do some research and asking around about it though and get back to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS! You can e-mail me if you want instead of posting here, either is fine.)

    mschumac@daktel.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just was able to spend some time with some friends this past weekend at a wedding, and met up with some family and my best friend Katy. Katy and I had a conversation very very similar to this post. We decided to spend more time together and to get the negative people out of our lives as well. It was so nice to be able to nurture our relationship, after not really having spent time together for a year. I hope you guys are able to Skype more frequently :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda