Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Recipe Search & Piña Coladas

I have spent the last couple of days scouring the internet for new, exciting recipes. Mostly I've been disappointed by the lack of dinner items that do not include pasta, rice, or potatoes. It's upsetting. Not to mention the amount of amazingly delicious-looking desserts that sadly include more dairy than my grandmother-in-law's former dairy farm used to produce. Sure, I know, there are tools and specific sites out there to use to find me some paleo goodness, but I feel like I've seen 'em all. And I'm bored.




One thing I used to love to do when I was pre-paleo was to read food magazines. I'd flip through the glossy pages filled with amazing, ridiculous recipes with nearly impossible to find ingredients and wonder how I could possibly recreate these crazy meals and make my belly happy. I've since given up on regularly purchasing cooking magazines since most of them are filled with filler foods - those pasta and rice meals that I just can't see myself making.




I've been feeling so uninspired when it comes to food. What a bummer. Perhaps I just need some new perspective. Or perhaps I need a cocktail.


One amazing creation I found in a magazine was a paleo cocktail recipe. It wasn't marketed as paleo of course, but I saw it and I wanted it. And after I made Mitch whip this up for me (I'm not a fan of using blenders . . . they're too much of a clean-up mess,) I wanted to share it.


I give you . . . a paleo friendly Piña Colada!




We found it in a small local magazine that found it's way into our mailbox. Sure, my photos look like they're of a banana smoothie, but trust me, this one is good. If you're looking for something that will instantly transport you to the Hawaiian islands with just one sip, give this a shot. You won't be disappointed.


Ingredients
1/2 cup of fresh pineapple chunks  (go ahead and use drained, canned pineapple if you can't find a good fresh one)
3/4 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup 100% pineapple juice
3 oz white rum


Hey, it looks like banana, add some banana if you want! I don't care!


1. Set the pineapple chunks in the freezer for a few minutes. Frozen/chilled pineapple is the goal. In fact, make all the ingredients cold. You'll like it, trust me.


2. Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and frothy.


3. Pour into a highball or hurricane-style glass. 


4. Add a pineapple wedge, straw, fancy umbrella, whatever garnish you have that might help transport you to a beach somewhere warm. I'm sure you need it.




I tell ya, this is delicious. And it improved my mood and gave me the motivation to keep searching for that next great recipe! If anything, at least I know there are delicious, frozen treats out there that I can pour into a coconut and enjoy.




Garnish, garnish, garnish. Aloha, friends. Aloha.

1 comment:

  1. We made a very similar drink over the holidays. Yummy!!!!

    One idea when searching for recipes is to think of how you can replace things such as pasta or rice. We use zucchini, spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes in place of a lot of the traditional pasta/rice recipes and they are delicious. I just found Fast Paleo. Have you seen their website? I made enchiladas with cabbage instead of tortillas and they were awesome! http://fastpaleo.com/beef-enchilada-cabbage-rolls/

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda