Thursday, February 9, 2012

Coconut Shrimp. A Meal Or An Appetizer.

When times are stressful, I sometimes forget to blog. I also forget to eat well. Actually, that's a lie, I'm completely aware that this bag of Barbara's Jalapeno Cheese Puffs are not in any way paleo or good for me, but I'm eating them anyway. Moving on . . .


In light of my lack of any real willpower when times are tough, I'm going to share a new recipe that has all the beauty of a sinful treat and still (in my mind) falls under the category of paleo. Or as paleo as I'm gonna get on certain days.


Coconut Shrimp





Ingredients:
1lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I also plucked the tails off for easy devouring.)
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
pinch of garlic salt
2 eggs
1 cup coconut flour
2 cups shredded coconut
2-3 tbs coconut oil


1. What we're doing here is using egg, coconut flour, and shredded coconut to make a coating on the shrimpies, so set up your station: eggs in one bowl (beaten), coconut flour in another bowl, shredded coconut in a third bowl, and a clean plate at the end. Season the egg with salt, pepper and garlic salt (whatever spices you want, really).




2. Pat the shrimp dry before starting. One at a time, dip the shrimp into the coconut flour (giving the shrimp a thin coating of flour before moving on), then dip into the egg, and finally the shredded coconut. Set on a plate. Repeat until all the shrimp are coated.




3. Heat coconut oil in a skillet. Lay the coconut-breaded shrimp on the skillet and cook for about a minute (enough for the shrimp to become opaque) then flip over. Cook the shrimp so that they are golden and crispy.




4. You can also bake these by setting the oven to 400 degrees, laying the shrimp on a lined cookie sheet and baking for about 15 minutes.


I'm still trying to come up with the perfect dipping sauce for these bad boys. I'm thinking some sort of lime-type sauce, maybe a little tart to counterbalance the sweetness. But really, I think they are fantastic on their own. And delightfully delicious!




Shrimpy, coconutty, yuuuummm!

1 comment:

  1. Truly I know how hard it can be to stick to an eating plan...regardless of why. What I do find is that if I don't bring it into our home, we can't eat it. I read about the non-paleo Jalepeno cheesepuffs. How did they sneak into your home? Mmmmmmm...suspect someone brought them there :-) My theory....out of sight....out of mind :-) And I also always bring a list to our health food store or to the local one for the "other" necessities. It works pretty well here. Until someone gives me a huge bag of chocolates for my birthday and no receipt included. I did give 1/2 away but the rest...oh well...that is why if they get into my house, I find that I have to eat them.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda