Thursday, February 16, 2012

Molten Chocolate Cake

For those of you who are not still in a chocolate-coma after Valentine's Day, I have a treat for you.




On February 14th our home was filled with the delicious smells of a beautiful home-cooked meal. I will have to share with you Mitch's wonderful meal including the recipe for lamb chops with a strawberry balsamic reduction, but it must wait.




Right now, it's more important to share with you . . . the dessert.


Because if you regularly read my blog, you understand and share my love for sweets.


Don't deny it. It's a beautiful thing.


I searched the internet for something spectacular. Something out of the ordinary. Something chocolate.


And then I found a recipe for my absolute favorite dessert of all the desserts


. . . Molten Chocolate Cake.


It's no lie, if you are with me at a restaurant and the dessert menu has some form of molten chocolate cake, I will order it. I live for that moment when your spoon dips into a piece of cake and comes out with ooey, gooey, chocolatey goodness. Is your mouth watering yet?


Unfortunately, the recipe I found was not what you would call "paleo", or even "sorta-paleo". It was full on buttery magic. I wanted it, I needed it, but I thought I'd search for something similar that might be a little better for my belly.




I only found one recipe for cake like this, and it was by ThePaleoMom (all other recipes linked back to hers so I was assuming it must be good). The only alterations I made were to add more sugar, (per the suggestions of many people who "tried it but would add more sugar next time") and a bit of finely ground coffee to amp up the flavor a bit.


Molten Chocolate Cake à la Paleo Mom


Ingredients:
4 oz semisweet baking chocolate
4 tablespoons of coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp coconut flour (I know, seems like nothing! but trust me)
2 tsp cocoa powder
1/4-1/2 tsp finely ground coffee/espresso powder
2 eggs


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees


1. Grease 2 ramekins (The original recipe says it makes for four, but I only had two and it came out perfectly so . . . )


2. In a small bowl, melt the chocolate and the coconut oil. Stir together well and set aside while doing the rest. 



3. With a mixer, beat the eggs, vanilla, salt and sugar for 5 minutes. (She says to make sure to keep it going for that long . . . so I did. Not sure what her reasoning was behind it but I'm assuming it's to get the eggs to whip up enough to add that light airy texture.)


4. Pour egg mixture on top of the chocolate/coconut oil. (Don't mix it together yet.)




5. Sift the cocoa and coconut flour over the top. Add your espresso powder. Gently fold the ingredients together. (Took me a little while to get everything incorporated, but I made sure to do this carefully.)




6. Pour the batter into greased ramekins (yay!), filling within 1/2'' of the top. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. 




Note: the original recipe told me to bake them for 11-12 minutes, but they were not near done by then, so I continued to bake them for 2-3 minutes at a time until the tops of the cakes looked like they were a little less liquidy and a little more cakey.


The center will sink in a bit. Don't worry. It won't last long enough for you to care.


Also, let them cool for about 5 minutes before serving or else you'll burn your lips off when you take your first bite.




But oh . . . that first bite . . . it's like chocolatey heaven on a spoon.


We served this with chopped strawberries and red wine and for a moment, all was perfect and good in the world.




It was beautiful, I tell you!


Absolutely beautiful.


And I have just enough ingredients to make this one more time. . . .




Molten Chocolate Cake . . . 2nd try.  BOOYA!!


Loves me some chocolate.

2 comments:

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda