Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Not Paleo Blackberry Yogurt Muffins

Lately, I've had some serious weaknesses. A lack of willpower, maybe. I'm not exactly sticking to my whole "paleo" plan very well. Give me points for regular, day-to-day following, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm not perfect.


Gasp!


I know, I know. Get over it.


The thing is, there are some primal eaters out there who are so strict about their diet that they won't even think about giving some wiggle room. I, on the other hand, will cut myself some slack every now and then.


Most of the time those slacker moments are accompanied by a stern, you-know-we-shouldn't-eat-that glare from Mitch, but luckily I have a talent for ignoring that look. 


Many people must stick to their diet-plan because of severe food allergies. Others are just very tough about their food choices. I say, good for you! But for the other portion of paleo/primal eaters out there like me, I provide you with recipes from both ends . . . the good eater and the bad eater. Because, well, life is worth living and I like to take breaks. Although it leaves life full of conflict. Should I or Shouldn't I?


So for those of you who also like to take breaks, I give you another awesome recipe.


But you shouldn't make it.


Because it's so delicious that you will throw out every good-eating-diet-plan you have just to eat these.


Blackberry Yogurt Muffins




Thanks to finding this wesbite, I now have this recipe sitting in my collection of things that are delicious but not paleo and I want to eat these every day of my life. Thank you Lauren, this recipe has ruined me. But I love it!!!


Ingredients:
3 tablespoons coconut oil/butter
3 tablespoons softened butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup fresh blackberries


Note: As I was doing my prep for this recipe, I was shocked to see how much sugar is in these muffins. Pouring all the sugar out into a prep-bowl was almost a deterrent from making these . . . but then I said "screw it" and dumped the sugar in. BAKE AT YOUR DISCRETION! Yum.

 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tin cups with paper liners and set aside.


In large bowl, mix coconut oil and butter together. Cream with sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla, eggs {1 at a time}, yogurt and milk. Scrape edges and mix again until smooth. Pour in all dry ingredients and mix until just combined.




Scrape edges and mix by hand to ensure batter is evenly mixed. Stir in blackberries gently. Scoop by the tablespoon into prepared muffin tins evenly.




Place into preheated oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Cool 10 minutes and serve.




As you can see, I simply copied and pasted this recipe because there was nothing I did to change it. It was fabulous all on it's own.




And then I made it again. Because, well, I had yogurt in the fridge and what else was I going to do with it?


Mitch was hesitant at first, thinking of his own strict diet and how there was no room for these muffins on the list of acceptable foods.


Until he had one, and then it was a battle between us to get to the plate of muffins. Blackberries everywhere. It was a mess.




Anyway, thanks again Lauren for tempting me with this recipe. Although it has only given me another thing to add to my list of "do not make these or you won't be able to stop eating them" things, I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Not paleo, but really delicious. Robb Wolf may disagree, but as long as you don't have major gluten/dairy allergies, a little treat every once and a LONG while won't hurt you. My gut may not not like it, but my mental state does!

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda