Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Omelet Muffins, Breakfast Of Champions

Like I said earlier, I've been on a mission to find or create new recipes for delicious breakfast treats that follow my nifty little paleo diet. I've scoured the internet for recipes. I've attempted some of my own personal creations. Some of these recipes have been successful, some not so successful.


One of them is this yummy little omelet-like dish that I was more than pleased with.


What I'm talking about here is muffins. Egg muffins. And they are delicious.




I found the recipe here, and am so happy I did because this little discovery is fantastic. Omelet in a muffin form. Eat it with your hands, eat it with a fork, whatever, it's perfect. Do your kids like eggs? They will love this! Are you feeding a good number of people? This is much easier than making individual egg dishes for each person. It's fairly simple and definitely adaptable to whatever your cravings are.


I have to thank Tara at The Foodie & The Family for sharing this genius idea. Of course for my first attempt I changed ingredients a bit, but with this recipe you can put whatever ingredients in you like - that's the beauty of it! Here it is . . .


Omelet Muffins




Ingredients
8 Eggs
1/2 Cup of broccoli
1/2 Cup of cooked bacon
salt and pepper


Like I said, you can easily change this to whatever ingredients and spices you like in your omelets. Next time I might try using sausage, bell pepper and mushrooms (all chopped up nice and small of course). I took out the cheddar cheese in the original recipe to fit my non-dairy diet, but cheese would be an amazing addition. I'm also interested in playing with some spicy flavors - Mitch is a big fan of hot sauce with his eggs so some sort of chilies in the mix or a sauce to go along with it would be perfect!


This recipe makes 12 muffins.


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin.


2. Cook up some bacon. This recipe will take about 4 pieces, but you could always make more to add extra (or just to eat bacon while the eggs are cooking like I did . . . ). Chop up the bacon into little pieces when cooked.




3. While the bacon is a'cookin, steam some broccoli. At Tara's suggestion, I simply put the broccoli in the microwave with a bit of water for a couple of minutes. Rinse and drain to cool off and chop into small pieces.




4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together with salt and pepper to your liking. Add the broccoli and bacon and mix until combined well.




5. Pour the egg mixture into muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the eggs are fluffy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.




(Note: We turned on the broiler for a few seconds to brown and crisp the top of the muffins.)




6. Eat eat eat!




What I love about this recipe is that even though it takes some prep, it's fairly low-key. Like Tara mentions on her website, it's a hot breakfast that doesn't need close watching over. Unlike cooking eggs on the stove-top, once you put these in the oven you can continue to shower, put on makeup, etc.


 


These muffins are perfect for a nice, sit-down brunch with family or a early morning on-the-go! Paired with coffee and fruit (my favorite breakfast go-tos) it's a wonderful blast of protein that tastes like it took a lot more effort than it really did. Fabulous.


Happy eating!


UPDATE 2/21/2012:

Omelet Muffins are just as delicious in ramekins!  They come out a little easier than in muffin tins, and are just as delicious.




Alternate filling options I've included: bell peppers, onion, sausage, spinach, mushroom. Yum

5 comments:

  1. I have made something similar to this in a glass pie dish. After it was finished I cut pie slices and served. But I like the muffin idea as well. I am a big fan of adding fresh spinach, onion, cheese and bacon to my pie type of dish. Mine of course took longer to cook though but kinda like a crustless quiche :-) I will have to try this type of muffin egg breakfast when my great niece and nephew visit. Yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried reheating any leftovers? I never have time to eat breakfast in the morning before work so I'm always a grab and go breakfast type of gal, and I like being able to grab something from my fridge and just go... I normally make my breakfast the day before and prep for a few days at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please help!! I just tried these this morning with squash and though they were yummy, they puffed up while cooking then sank down a ton when cooled :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been making these for a few years now. I like to do mine with baby spinach, mushrooms, a little sour cream (for moistness), & Turkey bacon. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do these freeze well? And how long will they keep refrigerated? These sound delish for this whole 30 newbie. Would love to make ahead on the weekend for a quick grab n go breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda