Friday, February 10, 2012

Strawberries & Chocolate For Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is coming up, my friends, and you know what that means . . . a wonderful excuse to consume lots of chocolate!


And, ya know, saying "I love you", but whatever.


Chocolate.


I had an exciting time recently trying to create the perfect dessert for this holiday. A true decadence. But also something that stayed within the lines of being "paleo". After a few days of making my kitchen a mess, and washing more dishes than I care to talk about, I think I came up with something pretty delish.


Strawberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting




Ingredients for Cupcakes:

1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 eggs
2 egg whites
1/2 cup of grapeseed oil
1/2 cup of agave nectar
1 tbs vanilla extract
1-2 tsp strawberry preserves 
¾ cup finely chopped strawberries




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


1.  Whisk together your sifted coconut flour, sea salt and baking soda in a large bowl.




2. In a smaller bowl, whisk four whole eggs and two egg whites. Add grapeseed oil, agave, and vanilla.




3. Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture until combined. Add strawberry preserves (jam, jelly, what-have-you) and fold in your strawberries. (A couple drops of red food coloring might be fun here, to add a little strawberry color!)




4. Pour batter into a lined cupcake tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, take out when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool before frosting. 




Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
1 cup of chocolate (I used dark chocolate chips because that's what I had, but white chocolate could be delish!)
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
2 tbs agave nectar
1 tbs vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
1 tsp strawberry preserves 


1. Melt the chocolate. I used the fancy glass bowl on top of a pot of water trick. Add a pinch of salt. Stir stir stir.




2. Using a standing mixer (Or a hand mixer if you have one . . . I don't) whip the chocolate along with the grapeseed oil, agave, vanilla, and strawberry for about 5 minutes, until nicely combined and looking yummy.




3. Place bowl in the freezer for about 20 minutes in order to thicken up a bit. Once thick, bring back to your mixer and continue to whip until fluffy.


4. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator and serve cupcakes with chopped strawberries. 




My photos make the frosting look a bit lumpy, but in reality it had a very smooth texture. 


These were crazy good.




I mean, come on, what's better than chocolate and strawberries?


A perfect little treat for a little Valentine's day celebrating! 


I love you.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Definitely going to try these! You need a stint on the Food Network!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda