Monday, February 13, 2012

Unnecessary Excitement & Lyda Makes 4 Cupcakes

I am troubled.


I realized that I have developed weird emotions toward things that normal people would not find as amusing as I do.


Most of these things are food/kitchen oriented. Where did this come from? Probably too much time spent in the kitchen and reading food blogs. But it's turned into an abnormal obsession with random things.


It's the little things in life that thrill the pants off me.


Little things like the delight I get from a new pepper grinder . . . 




We've seen this from me before, with laughter and amusement from a particularly large head of broccoli. Yes, that was enough to make me want to pose with it.




I also recently got very excited about another gem that Mitch bought for me. After one trip to our local grocery store, Mitch surprised me with not one, not two, not three, but FOUR packages of local grass-fed ground beef, randomly on sale.


 


Oh yes. I was thrilled. My mind was swirling thinking of all the wonderful goodies I could make with this wonderful gift.


Speaking of wonderful gifts, if you'd like to bring me true jubilation, you can make a purchase for me at any number of kitchen supply stores with unique and fancy tools that I could possibly use.




The other day I decided to splurge on myself, and bought two lovely ramekins, perfect for making baked omelets, and also giving me the ability to try out a new recipe involving paleo ingredients and lots of apples and cinnamon.




Now that I have these cute little ramekins, I am finding an endless amount of ways to use them. So many recipes, so many possibilities, just the idea of using them makes me happy.


It must be a sickness, this odd enthusiasm I have for things like bakeware and beautiful produce. But I'm not ashamed of it. In fact, I embrace it.


And now that I have shared this weird information about me, I'd like to share another recipe.


I found out about our new friend's birthday the night before and wanted to bring him some sort of nice, last minute gift. So I decided I would bake him something birthday-ish. How about cupcakes?!


But I didn't want to bake a dozen cupcakes and have so many to tempt me, calling to me from the refrigerator, begging me to eat all of them. That's why I was so excited to find a recipe for 2 cupcakes! Fantastic! So thank you to Kerry at Baker Girl for this recipe.


I doubled the recipe to make 4 cupcakes (yay math!) for quality control and to make sure I didn't mess up on the whole frosting portion (which I did, so I was thankful to have extras). I ate one, gave the birthday boy 2 and saved one for Mitch. Yay math!


Birthday Cupcakes




Ingredients:
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 heaping teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons milk (I used almond milk)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees


1. In a standing mixer, whisk the egg whites with sugar until well combined.


2. Add the melted butter and vanilla, continuing to whisk.


3. Change out the whisk for the regular beater and slowly add in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Continue until all mixed together, scraping down the sides as needed. Add 2 tablespoons of milk.




Note: Maybe it's because I've been baking with "paleo" ingredients so much, but I wasn't used to how liquidy the batter would be! Surprising!


4. Pour batter into lined muffin tins and bake for about 10-15 minutes. (The original recipe says 10-12 min, but I found I need an extra five minutes to get these cooked through.)




Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tbs vanilla


1. Whisk the butter until soft and fluffy.


2. Slowly add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Add the vanilla after the sugar is all mixed in.


3. Whip the frosting on high for a few minutes, until it's light and fluffy. (add food coloring if desired.)


Now I'm not going to tell you that I'm any good at cake decorating. In fact, I kind of suck at it. Doesn't matter how hard I try, frosting always looks like I was wearing a blindfold while decorating.




But I rather like the way these turned out. And again, I got a kick out of a new food coloring (and some new cupcake liners that I didn't use here but will soon enough!)


Ah, it's the little things . . .

1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle at your fedish with foodie type stuff. My 20 year old is the same way. I am wondering if those of you with special food needs tend to fall in this group. She drewls over the Disney Food blog constantly. Now can she eat any of it...nope but she still obsesses over it. And she also bakes for others like you. Mmmmmm....not sure why this is but seems like a pattern emerging here. Once a foodie, always a foodie :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda