Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Love Meatloaf

For the next few weeks I'm on a mission to make large amounts of food for dinner, for a particular reason mind you. Mitch's job will be changing his work schedule for a couple of weeks from the usual 8-5 to a 12-10ish schedule. That means sleeping in, yes, but it also means working through lunch and dinner. Thus, being the caring, nurturing person I am (ahem), I decided I needed to try to tackle this schedule with extra food to send him off with.


This also means I will be making all the dinners myself. Aye.


Sure, I love cooking, but dinner is usually a co-Clark deal. The pressure is on.


But I will make this work. I will fill our bellies with food to give us energy for the entire day!


Last night I decided to make meatloaf. 




Meatloaf is a funny thing.


Some people love it. Some people don't.


Those people who don't love it are crazy about how much they dislike this loaf of meat.


I believe they just haven't had good meatloaf yet.


Do you like hamburgers?


Meatballs?


Meatloaf?


Yes.


Here's my recipe for a paleo meatloaf. And when I say recipe, I mean I did not have a recipe so I just threw everything in a bowl, mixed it together with my hands, and plopped it on to a baking sheet to throw in the oven. That is one of the beautiful things about meatloaf . . . easy peasy lemon squeezy. 


Meatloaf (Paleo Loaf of Meat)




Ingredients:
2lbs Ground Meat (ground beef and ground pork, or just beef. Whatev.)
1 Shredded Carrot
1 Diced Onion
1/2 of a Green Bell Pepper
3 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
2 Eggs
1 6oz can of Tomato Paste
1 Cup of Almond Flour (I ground mine less finely than I do for baking)
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Bacon . . . just get a pack of it


Add whatever seasonings you like to meatloaf. This is really just a good base for meatloaf. Got herbs on hand? Put em in there. Like mushrooms and spinach? Go for it. Note that the more veggies you add the less the loaf will stay intact so adjust accordingly.



I stand by the statement that meatloaf is one of the ugliest things to take pictures of. It was also difficult to take pictures while I worked because my hands were in a perpetual state of meaty-ness. I am posting pictures not to entice you to make this, but to simply show you how it turned out. Go ahead and google "meatloaf" and see for yourself that it is nearly impossible to take an attractive picture of this loaf of meat.


I might as well just post a picture of Meat Loaf.





Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Step 2: Prep your veggies - shred the carrot and chop the bell pepper and onion into small pieces. Chop garlic into small pieces too. Use however much garlic you want. I like garlic. Throw veggies into a large bowl.



Step 3: Add ground meat to the bowl. Do a quick mix of the meat and the veggies (you're gonna get your hands meaty, just go for it).



Step 4: Add the tomato paste and eggs. Massage it all together so it's evenly combined.



Step 5: Add 1 cup of Almond Flour to the meat mix. If it's too liquidy, go ahead and add a bit more. Add salt, pepper, and onion powder for extra flavor. If you have any meatloaf favorites like mustard or worchestershire sauce, go ahead and add it now. Mix.



Step 6: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mold the meat mixture into a loaf. This time I decided to make mini-loaves.




Meatloaf is so much more fun when it's in mini-loaves in individual sizes!


Step 7: Cut bacon slices in half and wrap around the loaves. Or, if you are making one loaf, skip the cutting in half part and just lay on top of the loaf.




Step 8: Bake in the oven for at least 1 hour. Meatloaf is one of those things that is hard to overcook. You want to make sure it's cooked all the way through, so these mini-loaves are great because if you are worried, you can cut one in half to check. I think these cooked for about an hour and a half. Whew!


Take the last few minutes of baking to set the oven to "broil" and crisp up the top.


Not pretty, but hey, it's yummy! 


Step 9: Eat. Add ketchup. Eat some more. Yum.


This will be perfect for my man on-the-go. Wrap the individual loaves in foil and you're done! Makes home lunches easy.




Look at me go! Little Lyda Homemaker. Aww.


Whatever. Eat some meatloaf.

1 comment:

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda