Monday, March 5, 2012

Mashed Cauliflower & Parsnips

Happy Monday, friends!


I am on the mend, and able to type again (for the most part) so it's back to work for me! And I'm going to start the week with a wonderful little side dish that is just fabulous. A healthier twist on a comfort food basic.


Mashed Potatoes Cauliflower and Parsnips




This idea came from a dish my mother made for Thanksgiving dinner - Mashed potatoes and parsnips. I love me some parsnips so this was an amazing addition in my opinion.


For our Valentine's day dinner, Mitch made an amazing meal of lamb chops, asparagus and this new creation: mashed cauliflower and parsnips! It blew me away how yummy it was and reminded me so much of that fluffy little side at Thanksgiving.




It definitely has the flavor of parsnips, but it's such a great side dish for one of those cold nights where all you're craving is comfort food. Pot roast and mashed potatoes? No! Pot roast and mashed cauliflower and parsnips!


Ingredients
1 Head of Cauliflower
1-3 Parsnips (depending on the size)
1-2 tbs Olive Oil
Salt 
Pepper
Butter or Cream of your choice (optional) 


(Feeds 2 with a bit extra for leftovers) 




1. Peel the parsnips (If you can find a large parsnip use just one, but here on the island we were only able to find small parsnips so we used 3. Don't worry - they have so much flavor you don't need much.) and chop into round slices. Chop the cauliflower into small pieces (see picture).




2. With a pot and steamer basket, steam the parsnips and cauliflower for about 10 minutes or until fork-tender.




3. In a food processor, puree the veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper until they reach your desired consistency. We whipped them until they were fluffy and mashed-potato like, which only takes a few seconds.




4. Pour out the water from the pot used to steam the veggies and return the mashed parsnips to the pot. I recommend doing this to warm the mash up again, as the pureeing process can cool it down somewhat. If you'd like to add butter or some sort of cream, this would be a great time to do so!




It's a fast, simple dish that is surprisingly good, and fills that need for comfort food you might be having.


And think of all those wonderful nutrients!


Hope you all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda