Thursday, March 29, 2012

Simple Paleo Breakfast Muffins

When I feel icky, I feel the need to bake. Any time I'm feeling sick, or even just a little blue, I find that baking something delicious, or trying out a new recipe, just puts me in a better mood.


It seems like I've been sick a lot lately too.


That means lots of baking.


The other day I decided to try some paleo baking. Something that I wouldn't feel guilty about eating.


Something I could share with my blogging, paleo wolfpack. (Sorry, I watched the Hangover 2 last night.)


And maybe a little something for breakfast!


(Granted, in my world, I'd make a cupcake, not frost it, and then call it a breakfast muffin, but whatever.)


So how about a real breakfast muffin? One with cinnamon so it kind of reminds you of Christmas. One that you could pretty much change however you want? That sounds about right.


Paleo Breakfast Muffins




Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Almond Flour/Meal
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
2-4 tbs Applesauce
3 tbs Agave Nectar
2 tbs Grapeseed Oil/Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla
2-3 Eggs


Additionals:
Chopped Apples
Chopped Nuts
Whatever you want!


Preheat oven to 350 degrees


Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients.




Step 2: In a small bowl, combine all wet ingredients.




Step 3: Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.




Step 4: Fill muffin tins (This recipe ended up making about 9 muffins, oddly enough.) and bake for 20-25 minutes/until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.




I gave you an estimation on a few of the ingredients, like the eggs and applesauce. When I first made these I used the lesser amounts, and as delicious as it was, personally I thought it was a tad dry. Mitch thought it was perfect. Adding a bit more liquid could hold the almond flour together a bit better.




But it's a perfect little protein-packed breakfast snack. I'd be tempted to try this with apples, because who doesn't love apples and cinnamon together?


And if you're a nut lover, add some chopped nuts to it, though in my opinion, a coarse grind on the almond flour makes these nutty enough. And they are surprisingly filling muffins, so add some coffee and fruit and you're good to go.




And voila! Breakfast muffins!


I've had my breakfast today, have you?


2 comments:

  1. The muffins get a two-thumbs-up from this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy! And I think my glueten free, soy free, dairy free daughter could give these a mix up too! Thanks for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda