Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Taking Control of Your Health Care

Sometimes as a patient, we feel we don’t have our best interests being looked after by our doctors. We feel we aren’t really taken care of. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard people complain about their treatment, or lack thereof, or how uncomfortable they are with their current situations.


Many times people think there’s no real other options for them. Even though the internet has been flooded with complaints about doctors, treatments, pain management, etc., people don’t seem to do much to change it. I’ve read emails, blogs, forum posts, all talking about troubles individuals are having with their personal healthcare and I’m always shocked to find how many people are simply putting up with it.


Doctors who don’t work well with you.


Medicine that you’re uncomfortable or unhappy with.


A diagnosis leaving you unconvinced.


An unsupportive “support system.”


This all has to stop. We have to stop taking the first option without knowing what else is out there. We have to be supportive of those around us, and help one another to broaden our minds about what possibilities there are.


It’s my mission to help empower people to take control of their health. Take control of your body and listen to your instincts.


I’ve had great doctors and I’ve had awful doctors.


I’ve been on great medicines and medicines that just did not work for me.


I’ve been alone and I’ve been surrounded by help.


I’ve lived with moments overwhelmed and moments of total clarity.


But most of all I’ve learned that in order to be happy with my current health care I have to be in charge of it. This means “hiring” the right doctors and pharmacists, having a balance of doing my own research and listening to the professionals, and also having a good balance of medicine and at-home-care, meaning “how can I change the way I live my daily life in order to improve my health?”


It takes some work, but really, it’s about your health, your life. If you are living with a disease, a debilitating condition, or even a minor issue, it’s important to know the facts, know your rights and be happy.


In the next few weeks I’ll be writing about my opinions on this subject of taking control of your healthcare, and the steps I’ve taken to do so. Stay tuned!



This article was originally written for Achieve Clinical Research, and can also be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda