Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Meatballs, Lyda Style

I just burnt the roof of my mouth eating meatballs for dinner tonight. I rushed into my eating carelessly, but it was worth it. It was delicious.


Mitch is usually the one to make meatballs and sauce, but I decided I would give it my own try. And put my own spin on it.


My technique for making meatballs was similar to my technique for meatloaf: throw everything into a bowl and mix it together with my hands.


I think it turned out pretty good.


Paleo Meatballs with Chunky Tomato Sauce




Ingredients:
~ 1-1.5lbs Ground Beef
~ 1-1.5lbs Ground Pork
2 Egg Yolks
3-4 Cloves of Garlic, finely diced
2/3 cup Almond Flour (Ground Almonds)
2 tbs minced Fresh Basil
Salt 
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Olive Oil

Optional: 1/4 of a bell pepper


Tomato Sauce:
2-3 tbs Olive Oil
3-4 Garlic Cloves, diced
1/2 an Onion
1 28oz can Diced Tomatoes
1 14oz can Crushed Tomatoes
Italian Seasoning 
~ 3tbs chopped Basil  
Salt 
Pepper
Onion Powder


A few things to note. . .




-This is an easy, fast recipe.


-The magic ingredients are Onion Powder and Basil. I love basil. And onion powder is an awesome savory addition.


-I only had about 5 cloves of garlic. You know me. I love garlic. I would have used more, most likely. Use how much you like.


-I also had some orange bell pepper so I threw that in.


-Also similar to meatloaf, it's difficult to take pictures while preparing this meal without getting your camera all meaty.


Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, ground pork, egg yolks, and garlic. Add 1/3cup almond flour. Add more little by little as needed bind.




Step 2: Add basil and seasonings to your taste (whatever you like). Lots of basil is delicious and adds beautiful color! Add bell pepper if using. 


Step 3: Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with olive oil to keep the meatballs from sticking. (*I used my hands to rub the olive oil all over the foil and then mixed the remainder into the meatloaf . . . so technically there's a bit of olive oil in there.) Roll the ground meat into 1-2 in balls and line on the baking sheet.




Bake for about 20-25 minutes, then finish them off under the broiler for 3-5 minutes (keeping an eye on them!)


While the meatballs bake, make the sauce . . .  


Step 1: In a large, sided skillet or a large saucepan, cook the olive oil and diced garlic on medium heat, stirring every now and then, for about 2 minutes.



Step 2: Add the onion and cook until soft. (A couple minutes)



Step 3: Pour in both cans of tomatoes and about a tablespoon of Italian seasoning and mix all together. Bring the heat up to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes to thicken slightly.



 


Step 4: Turn down the heat to low, stir in the basil and other seasonings to taste.




Mitch will often finish cooking the meatballs in the pasta sauce, particularly he uses a saucepan for this, so next time I might give that a try.


But these turned out pretty yummy.




And my belly is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda