Thursday, April 12, 2012

Placebo

Alright, today I'm going to share with you a link to something I found very interesting.



My husband introduced me to Radiolab, a radio show that is extremely entertaining and extremely thought provoking.



They talk mostly of science and looking into the "hows" and "whys" of things in our lives.



One show I listened to the other day was called "Placebo". If you have the time, listen to it. I listened to it while I cleaned my house. I also found myself stopping and standing, just to listen intently to what they were saying. It's that interesting.



I thought this particularly interesting since I've been focusing so much on doctors, medicine, health care treatment etc, lately.



I won't give you the play-by-play of what they talked about, you should listen to it for yourself, but one interesting point they made was about doctors and those white coats they always wear.



They associate the white coats almost as a costume. A superhero's suit, if you will. Once a doctor puts on that coat they are transformed into a person of knowledge. A person who can help you. A person who can comfort you with their knowledge and help.



I remember them mentioning a woman who, once she saw her doctor in his white coat, broke down with relief because he symbolized hope. He brought her that wonderful feeling that someone out there was going to take care of her and make things all better.



It's a very real feeling for so many people.



And it's why I push so hard for doctors to stand up to the role they've taken.



Keep in mind that you, as a doctor, hold the cures. You hold the pain relief. You hold the hope.



Hope is a very precious thing. Many of us must cling on to it in order to get through the day. Hope that one day things will be better. That we will feel better soon.



That hope often is simply a placebo affect. Knowing that we have someone looking out for us immediately makes us feel better. We no longer have to hold onto all this baggage on our own. Someone has taken some of the weight off our shoulders and is helping carry us along the way.



And you, Doctor, you represent that hope.



So don't be a jerk. Don't take advantage of that. Step up to the plate and give us some help.



Even if you are a placebo.



Click here to listen to Placebo, and here to listen to more episodes of Radiolab

2 comments:

  1. At one point in my life I would have agreed with you on this placebo effect of doctors but for me, unfortunately, the trust has been burnt over and over and over and thus no placebo for me. The white coast now actually puts me on the defense inside. I don't outwardly show this but I have become suspect of "the doctor" and their white coast. I now view them as just humans like me that can make mistakes, that do make mistakes and worse...that won't even admit that they are like us and can even make mistakes. Yup, my trust has flown out the window and with it took flight my hope of the great white coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I want doctors to be as comforting and helpful, but they're usually jerks who don't seem to care. I'm so glad to have the rheumy I do because she's the only doctor I trust!

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback! Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and feel free to send me an email any time.

xoxo
Lyda